DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2001 Dakota, 4x4 not too long ago, i used too own a Durango but that got totaled back in Aug. Back then i was planning on doing a t/s lift and had all the parts but never got a chance to do it, and the shackles wont work on the dak. I've been doing some research but can't seem to find out how ya'll are lifting the the rear of the dak, i know its with blocks or add-a-leafs, but i dont know what kind to get or where get them at, and how to install them. I don't want to just go buy some random 2 inch blocks. Any help would be greatley appreciated. Thnx

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
bjones25 said:
I just got a 2001 Dakota, 4x4 not too long ago, i used too own a Durango but that got totaled back in Aug. Back then i was planning on doing a t/s lift and had all the parts but never got a chance to do it, and the shackles wont work on the dak. I've been doing some research but can't seem to find out how ya'll are lifting the the rear of the dak, i know its with blocks or add-a-leafs, but i dont know what kind to get or where get them at, and how to install them. I don't want to just go buy some random 2 inch blocks. Any help would be greatley appreciated. Thnx
I had to install firestone airbags on my truck to make it capable of hauling 1700 lbs of water on a daily basis. Turns out they raised the rear about 2 inches at 50 psi, so I cranked the T-bars to level it out. I didn't intend to get a lift, just turned out to be a cool side effect :rck: . At 50 psi it rides as soft as stock and if you link the bags together you still get near stock axle articulation, I don't think you'll get that with add-a-leafs. I'm happy with them, might be something for you to consider.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why won't the shackles work in the Dak. I kind of remember seeing a Dakota locally with a T/s lift...

·
MUDDY AFFAIR
947 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
4wd Dakotas have a reversed shackle. unlike Durangos and 2wd Dakotas.
I wonder why this is....

I use blocks and have had no ploblems..... I don't plan on them being permanent, but they've been in almost a year with no problem, if you do go this route check them whenever you rotate your tires or change your oil. Look for any signs of stress or movement, replace or remove with any sign of problems. Also NEVER re-use U-bolts or the nuts on them....

Here's my torsion/block lift

Attachments

·
um......howdy?
275 Posts
why not use blocks? they could move out of place yea, but only if you use the old u-bolts and they break or you dont do somthing else right.

i think blocks are the way to go. especially since you only need about 2 inches. with add-a-leaf your suspension becomes stiffer. wouldn't that mean harsher ride and less flex???

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
:metoo: Axlewrap, more tendencies to bounce during a hard take off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thnx, yeah i was kinda p***ed when i looked under the truck and saw the reverse shackles, i'll end up going with the add-a-leafs then, i'd love to do the bags but i don't have the funds to do that seein as how im only 17. On another note, where do i get them, and how difficult is the install?

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Blocks cause more axle wrap, and axle wrap is the devil.
My mother in law is the devil, axle wrap tends to break stuff.

·
um......howdy?
275 Posts
i didnt' know you all still raced with lift and bigger tires................

·
MUDDY AFFAIR
947 Posts
silvrbeastjr. said:
i didnt' know you all still raced with lift and bigger tires................
:thatfunny I'm with him, I may get on it every once in a while, but no "hard take offs" for me..... :crazy:

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
BRUISER QUAD said:
:thatfunny I'm with him, I may get on it every once in a while, but no "hard take offs" for me..... :crazy:
What's the point of a big a$$ motor if you don't launch it hard every once in awhile? But then again I have air bags not blocks. I did break an axle and strip some teeth off the third member of a rear drive celica I had years ago with just a split seconds worth of wheel hop, that's why I chimed in. :rck:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh yeah. That Dak I saw was 2wd... my bad.

And for racing a big truck. Don't knock 5.9 Durango's with 33"s... lol I don't race, but it takes off nicely. :)

·
MUDDY AFFAIR
947 Posts
black05Durango said:
What's the point of a big a$$ motor if you don't launch it hard every once in awhile? :rck:
tow...haul...pass...mud...climb...anything off road... I drive my truck with street manners, I couldn't tell you the last time i've left black marks on the pavement... (other than right before I got rid of the stock Wrangler RT/S's) I use the muscle under the hood for as mentioned above, to do work!

Back on subject, I plan on removing the blocks after the winter months either going with AAL's or something custom like new shackle mount brackets. then trimming the front fender wells enough to fit some 285/75/16's No suspension work till it's paid off, then it'll be my toy and in comes my Cummins....

·
um......howdy?
275 Posts
i guess i dont have anything to worry about then with my shitty little 4.7 .......................

·
MUDDY AFFAIR
947 Posts
silvrbeastjr. said:
i guess i dont have anything to worry about then with my shitty little 4.7 .......................
:thatfunny "SHITTY"....? "LITTLE"....? Riiiight!

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
BRUISER QUAD said:
tow...haul...pass...mud...climb...anything off road... I drive my truck with street manners, I couldn't tell you the last time i've left black marks on the pavement... (other than right before I got rid of the stock Wrangler RT/S's) I use the muscle under the hood for as mentioned above, to do work!
Mine does all of the above on a daily basis. Our driveway is 3/4 of a mile of nothing but mud. And I'll be hauling some 1700 lbs of water through that later today. But to each his own, I had fun smokin a 4 door civic with a coffee can muffler on the way to work yesterday too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what about spring over axles? (not sure what do up front tho?)
al
-giunea mobile
01 dakota
rebuilt engine pumps hoses pistons machined the works.
dual flowmaster 40s catback.. straight pipe

thinking about
performance chip
lift kit
any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.