DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a torque wrench and would like some suggestions. Pretty sure I want a clicker instead of a beam, but I've read where they (don't know if it's brand specific or not) go out of wack after a use or two. So if any of you have been using one for awhile and have not had any issues with it, please let me know what you are using. Preferably something cheaper that a Snap-On :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got a Craftsman and a Mac. The Craftsman is a third of the price of the Mac and if I test them against each other they both come out with the same torque. The key to keeping a torque wrench from going bad is how it is used and stored. I've seen clueless people use them as hammers or pry bars. NOT good. Only use them to torque, not to tighten or as a breaker bar. Always store the wrench at its lowest possible torque setting. You don't want to torque your 1/2" head bolts at 135 lbs and leave the wrench sitting like that for 6 months. If it is stored set at a torque spec then it can affect the future accuracy. Also some of the more expensive torque wrenches can be recalibrated by the manufacturer if it is needed.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Our 3 are Craftsman...
the "big" one goes up to 275 ft/lbs or so, and its hard to use because of where the dial is, but the medium one, which is enough to torque down our wheels, is much more user friendly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Always store the wrench at its lowest possible torque setting. You don't want to torque your 1/2" head bolts at 135 lbs and leave the wrench sitting like that for 6 months. If it is stored set at a torque spec then it can affect the future accuracy. Also some of the more expensive torque wrenches can be recalibrated by the manufacturer if it is needed.[/QUOTE said:
I got my craftmens torque wrench 3 years ago and set it to 100lb, it's not been changed from the original 100lb setting for all this time. I also heard applying the force for the first time after the wrench has been in storage can also cause a variance in torque.

So for the past 3 years I have stored my torque wrench while still set at 100lb , and when I used it I only torqued each lug nut once, which means the first couple of nuts would be out of spec. looks like I need to do things differently from now on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think the cheap ones would be ok for torquing lugs
if thats all you need one for They just need to be even,
not that precise

·
Brake Clean Fanatic
22 Posts
snap on makes pretty decent ones. kinda expensive though.

·
Code 3 Rammer
510 Posts
Craftsman here

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a couple of small Craftsman ones, work ok, but I don't use them a lot. They are both 3/8" drive, one read inch-pounds and the other is foot-pounds. Be aware, Craftsman clicker torque wrenches only have like a 3 month warranty.

A couple years ago I also bought a 1/2" drive Stanley clicker at Pep-Boys. I think it was around $80. Came in a nice case, does 50-250 ft-lbs. That has a lifetime warranty. I mostly use that for lug nuts and other bigger stuff. Works well.

I have heard the same thing, that you should turn the torque setting all the way down before storing the wrench, and use it ONLY for torquing.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I'm a stickler for using the right tool for the job. Breaking bolts loose is what a breaker bar is for, running them in or out is what a ratchet is for. Setting them to the proper specs is what a torque wrench is for.

Just let me ketch someone breaking loose 150 lbs/ft bolts with one of my ratchets.... :VHOT:

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
I have a craftsman. I tried a bar type but under the truck trying to install my step bars about killed me with that thing. To position yourself to be able to read the gauge was almost impossible. I love the clicker type I have now. My dad had a MAC that lasted him 35 years. It broke last year in the very first time I tried to use it on my Ram. First bolt, first try - broke. 35 years... He sent it back to MAC but they wouldn't replace as their lifetime warrantee didnt cover torque wrenches.

·
nick
390 Posts
ive got the snap on Techwrench. its very accurate and its digital.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.