DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can get a torque wrench that will do from 10foot lbs or less and up, that isnt 350 feet long, and wont empty my wallet. It doesnt need to be "professional" because I will not be using it every day.

I saw one in the hemi spark plug change write up that looks perfect but I cant tell what kind it is.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93658

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
*subscribing*

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
Craftsman is your best bet, the one pictured is a Craftsman Microtork. I perfer the digitork, it has metric and standard meaurements, and they run about 90 bucks at sears. The one pictured runs about 75

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree Craftsman,for the bang for the bucks.I needed a inch pound wrench Snap on wanted 240,I got one at Sears for 57 buck on sale at fathers day.If you are a engine builder go with snap on

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I have a Snap-on one. Thankfully my dad gave it to me. It wasn't cheap. The case it comes in is nice as well. Maybe Harbor Freight? They have cheap tools.. that "work".

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would go a bit better than HF for a precision tool like a Torque wrench. Craftsman would be a good compromise. I have a Snap on and it was around $300. Way too much to spend for the average guy but I was wrenching at the time so I bought it and thankfully kept all my tools when I quit.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
NorthernTool is pretty easy on the wallet.

·
USN Retired
24 Posts
I bought mine from Oreilly for about 27.00 when i had to replace my hub bearing assembly. Worked great.

·
Brent
528 Posts
If all you are going use it for is spark plugs I cannot imagine spending close to $300 for a torque wrench. I bought a cheap one at Pep Boys. And when I say cheap I mean $20.56. I bought a Craftsman for the sole purpose of checking the accuracy of mine and guess what... It was dead on so I returned the Craftsman. I am not usually one to skimp on tools. But for this simple task I see no point in wasting cash. I have changed spark plugs without a torque wrench for many years now without even using one.

Am I jealous of the guys that have a Snap On? YES, I just didn't need it for my task...

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I love Harbor Freight but would never buy anything from there that I need to rely on for accurate information. A torque wrench is something that is crucial for some automotive applications (brake/suspension parts, engine components, etc...), if the wrong torque is applied it could cause some serious damage.

Don't skimp on a torque wrench, either the Craftsman or Snap-On wrenches are great, even if they are a little more expensive (I love my Craftsman, so easy to use and is very accurate). Now it's just a matter of whether you want a mechanical wrench or a digital wrench.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's more info.

Snap-on will only warranty the Tq Wrench if you have it calibrated every year. Sears will only warranty the wrench for 90 days.

I own a Evercraft Tq Wrench ($50 Evercraft is Napa) and I have warrantied it only once in 7 years.

·
2,918 Posts
torque wrench, whats that??? Cordless impact all the way!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with a Craftsman Microtork version that goes from 10 to 75 pounds. 1 year replacement with reciept if there is a problem. On sale for 64 bucks. I get to test it out on my egr valve tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions

·
2,918 Posts
I went with a Craftsman Microtork version that goes from 10 to 75 pounds. 1 year replacement with reciept if there is a problem. On sale for 64 bucks. I get to test it out on my egr valve tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions
you are torquing down an EGR valve?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Every bolt has a torque requirement (which I'm sure you know), I think he is just trying to make sure he does it to the proper spec's, not a bad idea at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I bought a craftsman torque wrench. It lasted me about 2 years. Sears would not warranty it. So I bought 1/2 inch drive snap-on. It's about 18 years old. I just had it checked. It is out 1 ft lb. Just bought a used snap on T/W 3/8 drive for $75.00 bucks on ebay. It's dead on accurate and the appearance is like new with some very light scratchs.
I would be checking out ebay and look for a gently used Snap On or CDI.
Good Luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.