DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 98' Ram 4x4 with the 5.9. The other day we were doin some off-roading and I got it in some pretty deep water on accident. the water was an inch or two below the headlights on the driver side. After we got it pulled out it was running pretty good. Well a couple days ago something started messing up. And out of nowhere, it wouldn't move at all. When I put it in any gear the engine dies. Something in my drive train is making my engine die. We think it is the torque convertor and whats happening is that it locked itself in. Does this sound right. Any input would be great. thanks.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
did you change the all fluids after you pulled it out?
Hope so, either way it'll be headed to a tranny shop soon.
Does it lurch when you put it in gear or not move at all?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it lurches forward. I pulled the tranny pan earlier and the fluid looked like chocolate milk. I found out what making it do it. It's the TCC. The solenoid went bad. I just don't know where it is located on the tranny. We looked it up in all-data and it only gives you a horrible picture of it.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
if the fluid looks like chocolate milk, then it's saturated with metalic clutch particles and has been pumping that stuff through the tranny.
Would probably be good to have it rebuilt since you have to pull it to change the TC clutch anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't have to pull the tranny to get it out. The solenoid was right on the bottom. The other problem that I run into with thinking of the possibility of rebuilding my tranny is I'm a broke college student. I have a job that I work maybe 15 hours a week on top of 16 hours of class. It would take a long time for me to save up for a rebuild kit.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
FlyNhigh said:
I didn't have to pull the tranny to get it out. The solenoid was right on the bottom. The other problem that I run into with thinking of the possibility of rebuilding my tranny is I'm a broke college student. I have a job that I work maybe 15 hours a week on top of 16 hours of class. It would take a long time for me to save up for a rebuild kit.
Would probably be good to have it rebuilt since you have to pull it to change the TC clutch anyway.
I was referring to the TC clutch, not the solenoid.
Did you already replace the solenoid?
Any change?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't replaced the solenoid yet because I don't get paid until tuesday so I probably won't have the part in until wednesday because of my class and work schedule.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mabey you should have gotten a warranty with that truck when you bought it......i dont pay for nothing.....but i know what your going through being broke.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I bought the truck from an original owner with 130,000 miles on it so I think the warrenty would definetly be void after 156,000 miles. When the first 98 Ram came out, I wasn't even thinking about having a drivers license. But oh how I wish there was a warrenty on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.