1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone explain what it is / does? and maybe if ones sold for our D's

·
0 Posts
I can't explain what it does, but it is apart in the automatic transmission. Fixing it is expensive and it is a common problem with dodges!

I never did understand how auto transmissions worked. Manuals are pretty easy to explain :)

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Also, Dan The Fastman has some TC's for the 5.2/5.9L's (44/46RE). I haven't heard of much performance transmission components for the 45RFE trans except for the shift kit. Though I should think that there would be a few TC's since that is the essentially the same trans that's behind the 5.7.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Torque converter connects the engine to the transmission. It is a fluid coupling. The way it works is as follows: Imagine two fans one next to the other. If you turn the first fan on and have it blow right at the second fan, the second fan blade will start to rotate. This is exactly how the torque converter works, but instead of air, the torque converter fan blades are "blowing" hydraulic fluid (transmission fluid to be precise). The advantage of this setup is there is not a hard mechanical connection between the engine and tranny. This fluid coupling allows damping of shock loads preventing damage to the engine.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
I feel educated once again. I have worked on them but never thought of it in that wasy Canyon.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i were to buy a aftermarket one would i add hp? if so how much approx

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
They don't generally add HP, they allow you to launch better. They become stall converters. This allows you to reach a higher RPM before power is applied to the wheels, which means you get to your peak power band faster and can launch harder.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
What HE said.

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys :) appreciate it

·
Banned
8,865 Posts

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
my post was supposed to go elsewhere, posted in the wrong window.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Tard.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
WarrensD said:

They all basically look the same when you scroll down to the bottom!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.