DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the "200 rpm surge at highway speed" problem for some time now, and have been lurking here trying to find the answer. I've tried a couple of things- replaced the solenoids (T.C. and Overdrive) in the valve body, and have changed out my TPS, as well as replaced my rear wheel sensor (which has solved my ABS light issue). It seems that my Torque Converter is not able to stay locked up under normal load. I had the P1740 code once, relating to the TCC Solenoid, it hasn't returned, but I replaced the solenoid anyway. This has not solved my problem, and I can't seem to find any other advice on the forums. Any ideas?

2000 Ram 1500
360 Engine

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
does it unlock randomly, or does it vary with throttle position?
A properly working T/C should lock above 35 mph in D, under light to moderate throttle. Upon deceleration, without using the brakes, it should stay locked until it reaches 30 mph then unlock.
In OD, should lock at 45, and unlock about 40 (when decelerating without using the brakes).
Does it seem to unlock under no load, such as when cruising at a steady speed without accelerating?

May want to take it to, or call a tranny shop, and ask them what their opinion is.
If it's only doing this during acceleration it may just be that the clutches in the torque converter are worn to the point that they cannot maintain a positive lock.

How many miles on the tranny?
Do you tow/haul heavy (1000 lbs + ) on a regular basis?

edit: your post says you have this problem at highway speed, try turning the O/D off and see if it will still slip when accelerating from about 45-60.
Accelerate hard enough to put some strain on it, but not so hard as to make it down shift.
If it doesn't produce the same problem in D, it may be the OD itself slipping.
HTH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts- sorry, I should have been more clear. It does "slip" as I accelerate, and also in other lock-up situations, not just in OD at highway speed, but it certainly is more noticeable at highway speed. It doesn't have a rhyme or reason as to it's occurance, just happens regularly (ie. most times I drive it). There are rare occasions that I'll drive at highway speed for 10-15 minutes and it won't happen, most noticably when I'm pulling a trailer. In answer to your post again, I do haul a 900lb boat and trailer with the truck 2 or 3 times a week, and it used to slip a lot more under load. HOwever, after changing the solenoids, I took a 400km round trip with the boat this weekend, and it slipped a lot less than before. Like I said, a bit of a mystery...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one more thing- not sure how many miles on the tranny, but the truck has about 135 000 miles itself, and I'm pretty sure the tranny is the original one. I have also replaced the transfer case. When I changed the solenoids, I drained most of the tranny fluid, which was clear, looked fairly fresh, and had no significant metal build-up on the magnet. ATF +3 as per specs- I bought the truck about 10 000 miles ago.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the new TPS should have fixed it. If it didn't - I would say that you might have a internal problem with the tranny. It is possible that you got a bad TPS from the parts store however. I had this problem almost from brand new - the dealer rebuilt the tranny and put new converter on twice in the first 60k miles - still had the surging/lockup problem. Found out about the TPS on a forum like this, changed it out, and have had no more problem in 20k miles......

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
use a multimeter, it should read progressively more or less resistance (depending on which way you are moving it).
If you get to a spot that reads no resistance (an open point) then it's bad.
If you don't get the new unit dirty you can return it.
They don't like taking back electronic parts that have been used, but I don't like buying parts that I don't need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huge thanks, QCRam. I'll take that along with me to the local tranny shop; they've done good by me, and the guy is a friend, so I'll have him do the job and see if that does 'er. I think I'll keep my rookie hands clean on this one. I'll post results as I see this can be a fairly common condition, and I've tried a lot of the common remedies. Thanks, fellas. Much obliged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.