DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2001 Ram 1500 5.9l 2WD with a 46RE transmission. From the whine I'm getting from the transmission, I think the PO put the wrong fluid in it, as he said that he topped off everything just before I got there.

I plan on changing the fluid and filter on the transmission when budgt will allow it. My question is, is ther a drain plug for the torque converter like the OLD Torque Flite used to have back in the 1970's? If not, is there a possibility to drill and tap for one someplace on the converter?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help given.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drain fluid and replace filter and top off fluid. Remove return line from Radiator/trans cooler and put a clear hose on it and other end into a LARGE container. Have helper start truck and put it in gear with park brake set and foot on brake. As the dirty fluid exits pour fresh clean proper type into the filler tube. When it no longer pumps dark fluid (or fluid same color as the being added) shut off. button it back up and top off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t think think you will hear any difference in the sound of your transmission with different oils as they all supply lubrication and the bearing design is all about the same. Different oils are for the clutches which have different coefficients of friction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts