DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm picking up a matching fiberglass topper for $50 this weekend. It does not have clamps so I need to try and find some before I drive 2 hours to get it. However, I'm having a tough time finding actual topper clamps. Will a half dozen c-clamps work? I haven't looked at the topper, but I don't see why not. I'll bring some scraps of wood as well in case I need to shim things a bit for the clamps to work.

Am i overlooking something, or should this work?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
use the c-clamps, once you get home go to a place that sells camper, they will either have what you really want or get them for you

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i dont have a topper, but id feel safer using steel c clamp with some rubber isolator over the chinxy aluminum dealies that come with the tops.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I went to ODD Lots and bought a bunch of small steel clamps and used a piece of wood was on my truck for years until I had a major rear end collision and it didn't fall off but cracked due to the bed flexing.

Attachments

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I've used c-clamps too, and they hold fine. The clamps that came with my Raider topper are nothing but aluminum flat clamps with a hinge for easy installation. Doesn't do anything different then a c-clamp does except give you a more convenient way to install and tighten it. Otherwise, at the end of the day, it is just a simple clamp.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
As they all said, C-clamps will do great. Take something to put between the bedrails and the Topper or you'll have a lot of scratches from even a short trip.

elliotcarlose what hit you? Ouch!

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
It was a ford F350 pulling a dual axle u-haul trailer at 55 mph

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
:eek: I bet you felt that.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
slightly flexed. you didnt just polish that one out! was anyone hurt?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any topper shell place will have a foam seal to go between the shell and bed. Ideally, they should or can get a double barrel round rubber seal, much better, and thicker to minimize the scratches.

The clamps are usually about 5 bucks. Bolt it on and forget it, plus minimal intrusion into the bed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.