DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just want to get a few ball park figures to see whether or not my truck is running properly or something is wrong...

My truck has a hard time doing 150 km/h like (95mph approx)... does this sound about right? I know these trucks arent' meant for speed but it seems to really work to even get up to this speed... and even my 01 dakota 3.9 2wd will touch 170km/h....

This is on a 97 reg cab short box 318 4x4 with 31" tires.

Thanks...

· Registered
3,452 Posts
I've locked mine out of O/D and it will turn a little over 4500 RPM and speedometer indicates over 110 MPH. Thats with 3.55 gears and 265 70x16 tires on 10 inch wide wheels. Never tried it in O/D, too tall of a gear ratio for optimum top speed in my opinion, :gr_patrio

· Registered
804 Posts
I got 2001 shortbed reg cab. 3.55 gears and P285/75R16 tires and have not been able to pass 105 mph. Too many hills and traffic in my area to get to the supposed top speed of 118 mph. Most times though I have to be on level ground or going downhil slightly to even get above 100.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
My green truck is capable of pointing the needle at P in the gearshift display. It would probably go faster but I'm not big on driving fast all the time. I like accelleration but driving super fast is just a good way to get killed.

· Big Green
8,340 Posts
Never tried to see my top speed but know it will top 100 and still be pulling hard I have a different engine and trans though.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
When I was in Germany a while back, and had no traffic on the autobahn, I maxed out my truck a couple times. With 285/75/16 Desert Dueler tires, about 55,000 on the odo, and bone stock engine / drivetrain, it would hit the speed limiter at 118 mph (about 195 kmh) in D, if I let up it would shift up but wouldn't accelerate any further.

I only did this 3 times in 3 years, these trucks get really unstable above 100 mph. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't...

To answer you question, yes it should go faster.

· 1baddak
424 Posts
I dont know how fast it will go. i have 125 on the spedo and ive had it past that. 1989 shelby dakota with 3.91gears,OD.and a 340 stroked to a 418 ci.I know I blew the doors of one of those new V8 toyota tundras sunday. about 105 he faded.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
black_bird said:
ok so what could be some factors here? tires?
did you turn O/D off so the T/C would lock in 3rd?
What type tires are you running?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.