DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was charged $105 by the local Dodge dealer for the hour they said it took. I was expecting for it to cost less. My tires are about 3" larger in diameter than the ones it came with and I wanted the mileage and speed to be more accurate. Has anybody else paid this much for the dealer to do this correction?

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
the dealer here wants $95 to doit and my speeo is off by 1-2 MPH at 60 with my tires on the truck so i was like nevermind.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
03ramit1 said:
the dealer here wants $95 to doit and my speeo is off by 1-2 MPH at 60 with my tires on the truck so i was like nevermind.

Mines the same.
I wonder how the actual mileage, is effected by slightly larger tyres?
Also, will the average miles per gallon on the heads up display, be up or down?
Hmmmmmm.
Al.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Punch your old and new tire sizes into this calculator for tire a and b. http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html It'll show all the differences in your speedo/odo and power if you enter your gear ratio as well. Yes, your avg mpg will be off because it uses your odo signal to compute. If it costs that much it might be worth it to buy the add-on computers that allow you to do it.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Service rate are something around $75 and hour. A DRBIII tool is required for the re-program, It shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to do this. Tech should measure tire first, then plug in DRB tool, punch a few buttons, then it's donne. $60 SHOULD BE A GOOD PRICE, Over a hundered is too much

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I have seen ranges from Free to about $90. All depends on the dealership I guess. If you frequent the place for oil changes and stuff and get to know some of the people, I guess it helps.

KB

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
They told me it took an hour and 70 dollars to do it. I watched them do it and timed them. it took 27 seconds for them to reprogram me from a 31.5" tire to a 33" tire. i told them they are idiots to charge me for that and they didnt. Though i am "cool" with the service manager so i can tell him hes an idiot and him not get mad...

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
my dealer charged me 27 dollars to recalibrate my speedo.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I called my dealership and they quoted me $90 to do the recalibration I asked them why it was so much and they said that it would take an hour to do and that was there hourly rate so instead of paying them to do it I bought a super chips and did it myself.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
at the most it should take them 15 minutes to reprogram the tire size in the computer .... I hate dealerships that rip there customers off instead of charging the correct time

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought it would only take a few minutes. After waiting over 2 hours in the waiting area (they knew where I was and said that they would call my cell when it was done) I finally went back to the service counter to ask how much longer. He said it was just finished. After the first 45 minutes of waiting, I kept looking at my truck in the bay expecting someone to be doing something. I never did see anyone near it. I guess I missed that 15 minutes that they were working on it and I think that they were just stalling to make me feel like I got my $105 worth of work.

·
Registered
595 Posts
after my dealer told me $95 i told um to go pound salt and went and got a superchips....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Catch a mech on lunch wanting to make an extra $20

·
Registered
117 Posts
or if you know someone who has the SNAPON MODIS
they can do it with that as well. One of the guys i work with has it and we followed the factory procedure for stepping through the menus and it worked flawlessly. My speedo is more accurate now after we reprogrammed it than it was form the factory with stock tires. It's less than 1/2 mph off at 65 mph

·
I am Sean Connery...
4,789 Posts
03ramit1 said:
dude, you have a superchips. You can use that to re-program the speedometer.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
Hell Ride said:
dude, you have a superchips. You can use that to re-program the speedometer.
you are correct i do have superchips, but its not mine.i barrowed it from a friend, while his truck is down. he needs a new motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.