DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving by my Dodge dealership on the way home last night (I currently drive an '04 Durango LTD) and saw that they had some Chargers on the lot. After a very quick right hand turn I was standing in front of a brand new silver R/T. The salesman I deal with there saw me admiring the car and came right out.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Sure is!"

"Want to take it out? Just don't roll down the windows, I just had them tinted."

I quickly realized that it was his car and he was handing me the keys and carte blanche...needless to say I didn't need to be asked twice! :rck:

Anyway, here are my impressions after a 20 minute drive consisting of 50% freeway and 50% city street driving:

1) Very nice interior. I thought the seats in my Durango were top notch but the driver's seat in the Charger is even better. Seat bottom is extremely comfortable but supportive and seems to have slightly better adjustment possibilities. Steering wheel adjustment was great as well. I was in a comfortable position in seconds. Not bad considering I'm 6' 1" and the salesman is probably 5' 6". I still prefer the soft blue dash lighting in my D over the white in the Charger, however.

2) Driving impressions: what can I say? The sucker moves! I didn't get a chance to try any hard cornering but the Charger seemed to track well in fairly high speed turns on wet pavement. During hard acceleration, though, I noticed something interesting. My HEMI Durango kicks right down into passing gear when I mash the pedal. The Charger seemed to go through a very quick two-stage process. Initially, revs would climb to just shy of 3000 and hold there for almost a second, then it would open right up and shoot forward like nobody's business. I'm wondering if this has to do with the "adaptive cylinder technology" or whatever they call the 4/8 cyl configuration that they have on this vehicle (the Durango runs all 8 all the time as my wallet can confirm). Maybe somebody that's had a chance to drive one of these MDS cars long term can fill me in.

3) The wife absolutely loved it. "This is our next car". I'm just glad the salesman wasn't around when she made that pronouncement! ;)

4) Overall, a fantastic driving experience. I don't want to get hung up on the whole two door/four door thing. I've never owned a true muscle car (although my dad had a Barracuda back in the day) so I don't have anything invested in the name other than vague childhood memories. Basically, try to wrangle a test drive of one of these cars as soon as you can and make up your own mind.

Cheers,

Canphan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Right after I ordered a Daytona for myself, the dealer sent me the family out on a test drive in an R/T. I also did 50/50 highway and street and was able to get one high speed turn in doing a sweeping right turn transtion from one highway to the next. slipped right into the apex as it should and as you pointed out.. just touched the pedel and it pointed itself right where I wanted it and it shot forward down the merge ramp. VERY cool and exciting. They are a dream to drive.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Thanks for the review! I agree, they are great driving cars.... incredibly smooth and quiet when you consider how much power is under the hood!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.