DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that if you install one of those fiberglass tonneau covers on the bed that it will help on the gas mileage. Anybody done this and seen mileage improvement?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had a cover on my 98 ram (small v8) since it was new and I get 16-17mpg...now have 121000 miles on it. I would not try to justify one based on gas milage. I like mine simply for more cargo space when traveling. I saw an engineers calculations once however that proved a pickup had less drag with the tailgate up rather than down. Somehow the airflow coming over the cab pushed the truck using the back of the tailgate. But since I'm an Alabama ******* and not too good in math---I would just buy a cover and enjoy it. Good luck and enjoy that HEMI!!!

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
It's true that mileage is better with the tailgate up. Regarding a bedcover, my mileage is a little better on the hwy, with my Extang. No difference in the city.

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
I have owned many pickups, and have never seen any mileage improvement with a tonneau cover vs. no tonneau cover. It's been debated for many years, and will most likely continue. I'm on the side that says it makes no difference. Hey, I might be all wet, but that's my opinion.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
None of mine have added MPG. But I never bought it for gas mileage, I bought them for security and ease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have an Undercover cover to keep my tools locked up which is great but I noticed no difference in mileage before and after..

·
Registered
562 Posts
TTURedRaider09 said:
None of mine have added MPG. But I never bought it for gas mileage, I bought them for security and ease.
ditto

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had mine on for about 6 months and haven't saw a single improvement. It's actually been proven in a scientific experiment done by some college that keeping the tailgate up does give better fuel economy than with it down. Some kind of air bubble is formed in the truck bed that allows all other air to simply flow over it, not going down into the bed.

Kyle

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
YELLOWHEMI said:
I have heard that if you install one of those fiberglass tonneau covers on the bed that it will help on the gas mileage. Anybody done this and seen mileage improvement?
Yes, it gave me about a 2-3 mpg improvement on the highway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Iv'e had my tailgate up and down and covered and uncovered and have not noticed a single difference in gas mileage. So buy one if you like the looks or you want to keep things dry.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Mazz said:
I have owned many pickups, and have never seen any mileage improvement with a tonneau cover vs. no tonneau cover. It's been debated for many years, and will most likely continue. I'm on the side that says it makes no difference. Hey, I might be all wet, but that's my opinion.

I agree.

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
personally i have a fiberglass gaylords cover and i didnt notice any gas mileage improvement. i did notice less drag on the vehicle though but i think the weight of tonneau makes the gas mileage stay the same. i would recommend some type of tonneau to anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a soft cover on my last truck and I would have to say that it may have gotten slighty better mpg with the cover on but hardly noticable. You might save $5 in gas over a years time. As was stated earlier, don't buy a cover for gas mileage but for functionality.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe the tonneau covers do help.

I owned another truck and had a soft tonneau cover on - that helped atleast 1 mile per gallon or more. My truck (at the time-Toyota Tacoma) consistantly ran 20mpg (combined city & highway). The truck was only rated for 17-19mpg.

I bought the same brand soft tonneau cover for the Ram. I haven't noticed much inprovement with it because I haven't driven it much without it to notice. The truck has only 5200 miles on it.

The hard fiberglass tonneau covers may indeed help with MPG - but because the fiberglass tonneau adds excessive weight ........ What you gained due to the tonneau cover - is now wasted due to the excessive weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.