Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a "newbi" to this sight. Looks like a lot of good info so from what i've seen so far. Just had a Flowmaster CAT BACK exhaust system installed on my '04 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 hemi. The system has 3 inch mandrel bent pipes running through a Flowmaster Series 50 muffler. I did not expect the noise level and vibration to be soooo loud! My wife absolutely "HATES" it! How do i go about toning down the sound and vibration of this beast?

P.S.: I've noticed a distinct "thud" sound coming from the rear whenever i go over a bump in the road. Only noticed since the install. Not sure, but sounds like the rear suspension may be hitting the muffler pipe. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome Marz!

I have a Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust also but I have a 70 series muffler. As far as toning the sound down you may have to switch mufflers to get a more mellow sound.

That thud you are hearing in the rear is probably your exhaust hitting the watts (sp) linkage on the rear end. When I installed mine it was a very close fit. Look under your D from the rear and see if the exhaust pipe or pipes coming over the rear axle are close to the bar attached to the differential cover. When you go over a bump that bar moves up and down and it may be hitting the exhaust. You may have to loosen the clamps and move the exhaust around so it doesn't hit.

Once you get the muffler you want, I suggest you take your D to an exhaust shop and have the system welded up. This will prevent any exhaust leaks and any movement in the system. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome HemiEd! How much drone are you getting with the 70 series? Is it hard to hear the stereo inside? What would be the pro's & con's of installing a Flowmaster resonator to quiet down the existing system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cat-back

I recently installed the Magnaflow cat-back system. Not over-powering, great sound at WOT. 20 minute self install. No clearance problems or 'clunks' over bumps. Quality equipment.
Sorry about your bad experience with Flowmaster.

2004 HEMI Durango AWD Limited
K&N CAI
Magnaflow Cat-back

·
Registered
410 Posts
Marz,

I like the 70 series sound. At WOT you know it's there but when cruising it has a mellow sound. From a dead stop under normal acceleration you hear it but it won't drown out your radio. I am not sure what a resonator will do to the sound. I would assume it would tone it down quite a bit.

Like Hutch said, Magnaflow makes a great product and the sound is really good. I have used Flowmasters for years and like their sound. Since you already have an exhaust I would try the resonator before I invested more money on another exhaust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
one person's "great" sound may be another's headache. If your wife can't handle it, you're SOL. going to the 70 series or magnaflow will help, but it is still much louder than stock. (maybe 20-30%?)

·
Registered
410 Posts
one person's "great" sound may be another's headache. If your wife can't handle it, you're SOL. going to the 70 series or magnaflow will help, but it is still much louder than stock. (maybe 20-30%?)
I agree with that! My wife wasn't to sure about the exhaust when I first put it on but after a few weeks she said she was either used to it or could live to tolerate it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HemiEd said:
Marz,

I like the 70 series sound. At WOT you know it's there but when cruising it has a mellow sound. From a dead stop under normal acceleration you hear it but it won't drown out your radio. I am not sure what a resonator will do to the sound. I would assume it would tone it down quite a bit.

Like Hutch said, Magnaflow makes a great product and the sound is really good. I have used Flowmasters for years and like their sound. Since you already have an exhaust I would try the resonator before I invested more money on another exhaust.

I spoke with the muffler shop today. They told me to bring my D on down and they'll install a resonator to help with the interior noise, as well as move the muffler a little more rearward. If this is still not satisfactory, we'll look into other muffler options. I'm glad I'm working with a "quality" shop on this. I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I added Borla resonators that slide inside my tailpipes when I need to quiet my duals down. Work pretty well, especially when cruising at the dreaded 1,600 - 1,900 rpm range where the Durango seems to produce the most drone.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the "D" back at the muffler shop last Friday. A Flowmaster resonator was added to the mix with the muffler moved rearward. The drone is still there (between 1500 & 1900 rpm), but has been toned down a little. At least my wife can hear her music now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.