Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 1990 B250 318 with R12 refridgerant in the air conditioning system. I live in Denmark and am having problems finding anywhere to charge the system :banghead: .

Has anyone converted the original R12 system with the more environmentally friendly R134 refridgerant?

Cheers :cheers: ,

Scottish Dodger

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Welcome to DodgeTalk!

Post some pics of your B250! :cool:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Scottish Dodger said:
Hi folks,

I have a 1990 B250 318 with R12 refridgerant in the air conditioning system. I live in Denmark and am having problems finding anywhere to charge the system :banghead: .

Has anyone converted the original R12 system with the more environmentally friendly R134 refridgerant?

Cheers :cheers: ,

Scottish Dodger

R12 hasn't been produced in quantity since the early 90's....at least here in the US. It's just going to keep getting harder and harder to find and more expensive.

To convert over to the R134A, the system is completely drained or evacuated of R12..don't just vent it into the atmosphere. The hoses come off and are flushed out as well as the condensor and evaporator. The compressor should come off and the oil drained out. (The refrigerant oil used for R12 is not compatible with R134A). After the parts are flushed and dryed out, a new accumulator (a.k.a. receiver/dryer) is installed and the hoses installed using new o-rings designed for use with R134A systems. The system is filled with the proper amount of oil and refrigerant and tested. Since R134A operates at a higher pressure than the R12, less gas is used.

It would be wise for you to take your van to an authorized and licensed shop for this work to be done because they will have all the necessary equipment to do the job.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Nice to have some of our friends across the pond join us :cool:

Welcome to the site !!! :rck:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Biggest problem I have heard of with the switch is a sloppy job getting the R12 out and the lube that goes with it!! The lube for 134 and R12 hate each other and can or will become aciditic which eats seals and siezes compressers. A good shop =agood job?
Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.