DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cuz
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My wife gave me the ok to put some new skins on her 02 and left it totally up to me as far as choosing anything I want. She did however make it clear, "No Lifting It"!!!!!! They hate climbing into my Ram and I refuse to put steps on it.

With that being said I'm looking to go over-sized without wheel rubs and I will be running the factory rims. We have roughly 6 months of winter here with average snow fall totals of over 200" and safety is a big factor. She managed to get nearly 60,000 out of the stock Wranglers. Any suggestions or pictures of stock set-ups with slightly over-sized tires?

My thoughts were
275-70-16
265-75-16
275-75-16

Not sure if they will fit and I'm open for suggestions on brands

Thanks in advance
Cuz

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cant comment on sizes, but we put Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on my wifes 4Runner and she totally loves them. Great in all weather, and have an agressive looking tread pattern as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tires

I've put Cooper tires on my Bonnevilles and have had great luck. Just recently put Discoverer H/T's on my '98 Durango. Haven't had them long but they are much quieter than the original Goodyear Wranglers. Seems to ride and handle ok. Cooper Discoverer A/T's might have better traction in your conditions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Bridgestone Dueler's have a very cool looking tread pattern indeed, kinda' like a lightening bolt. I'll be looking at those when it's time to replace my GY Wrangler RT/S's.

Black D...Ligtening Bolt Tire Pattern...RWL out!! :rck:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently ditched a set of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S at 25,000 miles due to noise and vibration. I installed Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. Wow, they transformed the vehicle. I do a lot of high speed driving so smooth & quiet are important to me. 265/70/16 No fit issues and no induced speedo error. :crazy:

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
I have 31" BFGoodrich All-Terain T/A tires on my D. :rck: They have good off road and snow traction with no added noise on the highway, and offer a little higher ride. They greatly improve the looks of a non-lifted D (31's are more proportionate to the durango's size than road tires and are the largest you can go w/o rub). I live in the mountains of colorado and see LOTS of snow and have no complaints about them. E-mail me and I'll send some pics. Note: if you go with the 31's, there is a ground wire on the driver side wheel well attatched to the frame that may get snapped if it is not snug against the frame. Had to replace mine. :mad:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
265-70-16's were largest stock size. I have seen some claim they fit 32x11.5 without any lift. However most that fit these tires will do a 2" TS lift. This lift is so sublte that many cannot tell it is lifted, but it will give you 1.75" real lift on the undercarraige. Can you possibly get away with that?

·
Cuz
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
canyonD said:
265-70-16's were largest stock size. I have seen some claim they fit 32x11.5 without any lift. However most that fit these tires will do a 2" TS lift. This lift is so sublte that many cannot tell it is lifted, but it will give you 1.75" real lift on the undercarraige. Can you possibly get away with that?
Thats what came on ours stock, the 265-70-16's.. I really like the looks of these tires from both the back and front becasue they have a nice sidewall bubble and off-road look to them. I would really like to just go one size wider and one size taller but I dont want a tire that has the squared look. In my opinion, that how the BF all Terrains look, square. I have heard good things about Cooper but I'm not sure what one size taller and wider is.. I need some help in this area. To answer your question Canyon, she wont go for a lift unless its from the tires alone.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please delete this.

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
A few months back I decided to change out the tires from the bald stock goodyears. I came to the conclusion that the best tires you can buy from everything I had read on the internet were the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. They have almost perfect ratings at www.tirerack.com and I never read anything bad about them. Unfortunately they wanted $650 for a set of those at Tires Plus. I did the next best thing and got some BFG A/T's at Sams Club for about $550. I guess you get what you pay for.

Just something else to think about when you drive in a lot of snow. Most people will tell you that a narrower tire is better. A wide tire will ride on top of the snow where it is more soft and slippery. A narrower tire will "cut" through the snow and dig to the harder packed snow with better traction. Hope this helps...

Edit: I didn't mean in any way to make the BFG's sound like bad tires. I love mine, they have tons more traction than the stock goodyears, and if your wife ever had to do some offroading to get to the shopping mall, the BFG's will probably do a bit better with the more aggressive, mud terrain-like, pattern.

·
Cuz
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right Dave, the skinnier and flatter sidewall would track better. I'm real picky when it comes to looks of things, it took me 6 months just to find tires for my Ram.

Thanks CanyonD

Here's what I come up with
265-70 = 30.6x10.4 (Stock)
275-70 = 31.2x10.8
265-75 = 31.6x10.4
275-75 = 32.2x10.8

Ideal would be something around 31.5x11
I'm going to look into those Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos and see what sizes they have.

Thanks again everyone
Cuz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.