DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the max tire width you can mount safetly on a rim according to rim width? I'm assumming you shouldn't mount a tire that is more than 5" wider that the rim, but this is just a guess.

I'm running a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" rim which I know is fine. I've seen some guys running 12.5's on 6" rims before (on the Skyjacker site and ebay). Is that safe?

I'm toying with the idea of a dually with 11" wide tires on the stock 6" wide rims (atleast I think dually's have 6" wide rims, that's what I've read).

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Its safe. People run 19" wide Swampers on 10 wide rims. May get some funny wear. Big plus for running wide tires on a narrower rim is that its very hard to loose the bead when aired down.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
your tires will wear funny if on a narrow wheel.

mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do you guys think is the widest tire you can run on a 6" wide rim without excessive wear? This would be on a daily driver, not a dedicated trail rig.

Is a 12.5 on a 6" rim a bad idea, or should I go with a 11" wide tire?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a K5 blazer with 33 12.5's on 6" wide rims and it was ok. I did not have any wear issues, but only drove it that way for about a year and the tires were a road friendly AT tread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.