DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out side my shop today and noticed something interesting. 3 side by side tread patterns. Just thought i'd share. The One on the right is my KM2's the middle i think is the goodyear wrangler and the left is from a skid steer. Normally you only see the treads on the tire but this shows what they actually do on the ground. Notice the tread width not depth. Also if you look close you can see the rock ejectors on the km2 pattern And the tread spacing

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ahh, I see..... and the driver was male, 185 pounds, traveling approx 15 mph, and headed in a northwesterly direction.... he was holding a candlestick.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
You're slipping Packraft... It was a RED candlestick... <grin>

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts
Since were talking about tread patterns here I noticed this weekend that tracks left by toyo mt's or bfg mt's (not the km2's) are Identical. If you didn't see the trucks they came from your wouldn't be able to tell the difference. There's obviously more sidewall traction with the toyos but I just thought it was interesting since there are so many people who think the toyo mt';s are the only tires worth having.

Those km2 tracks look good though

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree and have noticed the same thing...BFG muds and Toyos are almost identical...another one is the Cooper STT....it is nearly the same pattern...for alot less money...there is no doubt that any of the three tires I just listed will give you great digging power in the mud/snow...

The new KM2's also look like they would destroy some turf....

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts
yeah I like the KM2's even more now after seeing that. I still wish they had a little more action on the sidewall though :(

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's enough sidewall crash. On stock rims you can't air down enought to take full advantage of sidewalls anyway. The KM2's have a really tough carcass. I just thought it was a neat way to show where the tread counts 99% of the time

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts
I just thought it was a neat way to show where the tread counts 99% of the time
I agree, and thought it was interesting you posted that since I spent a large portion of last weekend looking at tire tracks in the sand :D

I never though about the rim width affecting the sidewall though, I imagine 10psi should be more than low enough to compress those ****ers right. If anybody had the balls to go down that low ;D

So if I'm visualizing this in my head correctly the more narrow wheel pinches in the sidewall more, obviously and that restricts the available sidewall traction to just the very upper part of the lugs?
That explains the MT designs with the short stumpy lugs

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Ahh, I see..... and the driver was male, 185 pounds, traveling approx 15 mph, and headed in a northwesterly direction.... he was holding a candlestick.
And he had $.85 in his right front pants pocket too. :D

Rim width affects how the tire tread "lays" on the ground.
1.Narrow rim, the tread pressure is in the center of the tread. But protects the rim lip the best. You can run lower air pressure too with out popping the tire bead off as on a wider rim.
2.Get a rim that is equal to the tread width. The tread will "lay" evenly across it. But you can't air down as much as the narrow rim
3.Now if you have a rim that is wider then the tread width. The tread pressure is on the outside edges of the tire, and the center of the tread might not be touching the ground. This is the worst combinition you can have. It's real easy to pop a bead off the rim.
All of this is just a "rule of thumb". :teacher: :D

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I was leaning towards the Cooper STT's. Now it's running 50-50 between them and the KM2's, after looking at those pic's.

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts
I like the coopers sidewall better, but now im thinking the km2 side lugs may actually perform better due to the rims, and they'll certainly fit better so im leaning that way now. as much as i would want bad ass looking tire performance always wins

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually i've taken a tire down to 5 psi just to see how much it takes to start to flex the sidewall enough. At 10 psi it does start to bulge and around 6-7 psi is where the contact patch is at it's widest while still allowing sidewall flex. Untill I get a set of beadlocks though i won't be driving at those pressures

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my pro-comp, I wish I had the 37", but the tread and footprint are pretty good in the desert both at high speed and rock crawling.

So Neotech.

Did you ever get around to put those spacers on your truck?
that is probably my next mod for the 05PW.

Thanks
Ocean

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you ask. No I haven't. Still sitting on the shelf. I think i will have steering problems if I install the spacers. I have some small 3/8" spacers I think i'll install in the front. Just haven't had much time

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree, and thought it was interesting you posted that since I spent a large portion of last weekend looking at tire tracks in the sand :D

Crash

I was wondering what the hell you were doing in those pics over at DTX. Now I understand. You were just looking closelyat the tire tracks in the sand.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow the things we do at work when bored.

Interesting post.

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts

Crash

I was wondering what the hell you were doing in those pics over at DTX. Now I understand. You were just looking closelyat the tire tracks in the sand.

who the **** are you over there. you sneaky son of a bitch:tport:

·
&#25105;&#24859;&#35987;
7,864 Posts
;D might as well sign up, the cats outta the bag now. you've already embarrassed your family what else are your worried about :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.