DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 20 inch wheel and tires and plan on pulling a 7000lb travel trailer with it.I have read that the 20 inch wheels reduce the towing capacity by 1000lbs which would put me at 7500lbs.I have read this is not due to the size of the tire effecting the gear ratio but is due to the sidewall of the Goodyear HP which is rated at standard load.I looked at buying 17 inch wheels and tire but the pricing was around $1800,instead I was talked into a 275/60/20 ProComp Extreme Mud Terrain(great looking tire) tire with a tow rating of E which I was told would put me back to the 8500lb tow rating.Do you believe this was the right thing to do and has anyone had any problems towing with 20 inch wheels?

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
I pulled a 7500 pound travel trailer clear across the country on 22's with no effects. As long as you don't go too crazy with the go pedal and such, I would do it.

Tire load capacity has absolutely nothing to do with the weight of the trailer you are pulling. It has to do with the actual weight pressing down on the tires. In other words as long as you don't exceed the normal 10-15% tongue weight you'll be fine on stock tires.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i have a trailer live towing guide and for some reason before and including the 2005 dodge rams with 20 inch wheels the capacity is different but with a 2006 and up it didnt make a difference

if you want me to look up your towing capacity in my book let me know i need to know if its a quad the gear ratio and motor size

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
and if 2 wheel of 4 wheel drive

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i have a 2006 quad with a 4.7 5 speed auto and 355 gears i can do 6250if i swap to 392 gears it goes up a 1000 lbs

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yeah, that is what I have is the 3.92 gears and for what the dealer said that it have already been put into the numbers. I do like my 20' and I will not go down.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i am keeping my 17 tires and rims just because i have the 355 gears i know it would not change but i just think to much on my truck. also price on 20 inch tires and i like my 17 inch wheels stock but i like them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts