Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Tried to take the back tires off yesterday to check brake linings(2000 Dakota Ext Cab) and found that the lugs were way too tight. One actually stripped, I found that these lugs have a base lug with a outer chrome cover crimped on. The outer shell ripped right off and left the base lug stripped. This is the first time I removed the back tires since I bought it a few months ago, the used dealer I bought it from had new tires installed and they must have used the biggest air wrench known to man. I have worked on all my own cars and have had some tight lugs due to garages installing them too tight with air guns, but this was crazy. I had to use a 4' breaker bar and still had trouble and I weigh over 200 pounds.

ANY IDEAS???? Now I am not sure how to get it off without ruining the rim? I know the lug can be replaced, but this is on the back and the lug is set in the end of the axle right? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If the lug nut itself is stripped then try pounding a cheap 12point socket over the stripped part or you can get special sockets from Sears and the auto parts stores to remove stripped nuts and wheel locks. If the wheel stud is stripped then try this...remove all the other nuts and rotate the wheel so the stripped stud is at the top, then while pulling out on the bottom of the tire try removing the stripped nut. This may create enough resistence for the nut to move furhter up the stripped stud and come right off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed

Thanks for the recommendations, we used a reverse removal socket. Napa brand. It worked like a charm, although the first time it actually broke the lug nut in half, then we had to pound on the next size smaller removal socket and had to use a 4' pipe to break it free. The nut had actually been driven past the bevel on the rim and had sunk into the rim. Whoever installed them must have used a king size air wrench at the highest setting. So its all good now.

Thanks again,

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.