·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I watched a show on TV about preparing Show Cars/Trucks

One SECRET they described was using Motor Oil to shine the tires

They said it was also good for the tires

Has anybody ever done this

Some of the commercial products tend to turn certain tires brown and I have heard also dry out the rubber

Motor Oil sounds like a cheap and better way to go if correct

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Back in the 60's I used brake fluid and there have been several posts on DT.com from folks that have used motor oil.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I've heard that you shouldn't ever use brake fluid, that it dries the tires out. I have heard of the motor oil working well before, though.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I too have heard of the motor oil, makes them look nice and black. but it won't give you a real bright shiny look. I like the shiny look myself though.

KB

·
Registered
130 Posts
i know this wasnt the question, but oven cleaner works great on wheels, spray on, whipe off

·
Registered
130 Posts
however i would not go doing it on any real expensive rims, i dont want to be at fault

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
I would think that the motor oil would attract all kinds of dust and dirt.... I know alot of people at car shows use vaseline to get a good shine on their tires.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
lucky8926 said:
... I know alot of people at car shows use vaseline to get a good shine on their tires.
I'm gonna refrain from any Vaseline comments here. :D Wait a minute, didn't you mention once that you work in a Prison? LOL

KB

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
KB112 said:
I'm gonna refrain from any Vaseline comments here. :D Wait a minute, didn't you mention once that you work in a Prison? LOL

KB
I should've expected that from you... :D ,and yes I do work in a prison :D :D

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
LOL, I had to Bro. :D

KB

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive tried alot of different tire dressing products, and im not sure about motor oil or vaseline, but Armor All Extreme Shine seems to be the best thing working for me. Extremeley shiny and it lasts for a week or more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Got this quote from autowizardmobilewash.com

MYTH: "Use motor oil to give tires a long lasting shine "
TRUTH: Motor oil will damage your tires due to the chemical composition of the oil. Motor oil is so heavy that when you drive your car, the oil will sling onto your panels, staining the finish.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I wouldnt put oil on the tires......too much can go wrong with oil and it doesnt dry up as fast as armor all or other products.....

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
the armorall i've used kinda made like a brown stripe go on my tires.. like the top half of it is this brownis color.. you can only see it at a certain view.. of course i ahvent really cleaned them much.. next weekend after i get my window tint i plan on cleaning my truck up real nice and ill post up some pictures of it.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
uncbob said:
A while back I watched a show on TV about preparing Show Cars/Trucks

One SECRET they described was using Motor Oil to shine the tires

They said it was also good for the tires

Has anybody ever done this

Some of the commercial products tend to turn certain tires brown and I have heard also dry out the rubber

Motor Oil sounds like a cheap and better way to go if correct
Hmm... that is a new one for me! I've never heard of using motor oil to shine the tires.

I wash my tires first and scrub them down thoroughly with a rag to get the white letters looking good. Then I spray them with the tire foam you can get just about anywhere, and that does it for me!

I am curious while we're on the subject, what could I buy to retouch the white letters where they have been rubbed off or just faded over time? I plan on getting new tires later this year but for now I'd like to have these looking better than they do right now! If I had my choice, I'd turn the white letters inward, but these tires cannot be flipped inward, so I'm just outta luck!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FreeLantz said:
Hmm... that is a new one for me! I've never heard of using motor oil to shine the tires.

I wash my tires first and scrub them down thoroughly with a rag to get the white letters looking good. Then I spray them with the tire foam you can get just about anywhere, and that does it for me!

I am curious while we're on the subject, what could I buy to retouch the white letters where they have been rubbed off or just faded over time? I plan on getting new tires later this year but for now I'd like to have these looking better than they do right now! If I had my choice, I'd turn the white letters inward, but these tires cannot be flipped inward, so I'm just outta luck!
Well the reason I asked is because of problems with the tire turning brown
As one poster stated Armoral did it to his tires .And that foam can do it to tires also depending on the brand . I had it turn the Michelins on my old F150 brown

So does anybody know what can be used that doesn't have these drawbacks

·
Registered
410 Posts
FreeLantz said:
There used to be a product that was sold in auto parts stores, I believe it was a "white wall" paint. If you can't find that stuff and since your getting new tires this year, I'd say a small bottle of white paint from a hobby shop should do the trick for a quick touch up. Of course you'll more than likely create a steady job for yourself keeping them touched up with paint, but it's a temporary fix.

uncbob said:
Well the reason I asked is because of problems with the tire turning brown
As one poster stated Armoral did it to his tires .And that foam can do it to tires also depending on the brand . I had it turn the Michelins on my old F150 brown

So does anybody know what can be used that doesn't have these drawbacks
A shameless plug, but Adam's VRT works great on tires, vinyl, and plastic and it contains UV protection, it will not turn rubber brown because it's a water based product as opposed to a petroleum bsaed product such as Armoral. Although Armoral and several rubber dressings that are oil based will give you a higher gloss than most water based products, as stated above you do run the risk of dying the rubber so it gives a 'brown' appearance over time.

With all the products available at realatively inexpensive prices, I don't know why anyone would use oil on their tires. Sometimes cost saving tips turn out to be expensive in the end.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VegasLightz said:
There used to be a product that was sold in auto parts stores, I believe it was a "white wall" paint. If you can't find that stuff and since your getting new tires this year, I'd say a small bottle of white paint from a hobby shop should do the trick for a quick touch up. Of course you'll more than likely create a steady job for yourself keeping them touched up with paint, but it's a temporary fix.

A shameless plug, but Adam's VRT works great on tires, vinyl, and plastic and it contains UV protection, it will not turn rubber brown because it's a water based product as opposed to a petroleum bsaed product such as Armoral. Although Armoral and several rubber dressings that are oil based will give you a higher gloss than most water based products, as stated above you do run the risk of dying the rubber so it gives a 'brown' appearance over time.

With all the products available at realatively inexpensive prices, I don't know why anyone would use oil on their tires. Sometimes cost saving tips turn out to be expensive in the end.
Where can one get this ADAMS VRT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.