DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need your help. My Ram will soon be in the need of new tires. I'm thinking of going with the "big truck" off road look. I've done no mods yet (only had my Ram a week and a half) so everything is stock. I'm working on getting a lift to help with the look I'm going for. What do you guys think of Yokohama Geolander M/T+ tires (265/70/17)? Have any of you put these on your Ram? Pics would be great! I'm also up for suggestions on any other brands.

You can find more info here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...artnum=67QR7GEOMTPL&fromCompare1=yes&place=61

·
MFIC
682 Posts
try searching on this topic. its been around the block a time or two. but im sure someone will reply!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do a search under gallery. Punch in key words like 285/70/17 or other tire sizes. Get ready to look through a ton of pics.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, if you are going to run a lift then 265's and even 285's are going to look way too small. Those tire sizes as it is look kind of small in the wheel wells at stock height( 285's aren't too bad but still smallish ). The Ram's have HUGE wheel wells and it takes a big 17 to fill them. Guys run 305's-315's to do it. That means you need to start thinking BIG on tires. Also, you only have the V-6( not meant offensive just factual ). Running big tires is going to KILL what power you do have. At least with the standard that will help some.

I think personally, and based on your truck's power plant, the biggest tire you really should look at is the 265's( 285's MAX )but instead of a lift maybe do a torsion bar crank( I assume all Ram trucks have them or is it just 4x4's? ) and maybe a small spacer in the back. Lift a V-6 and put some monster tread on sounds counter productive to me. The strain you will put on your drivetrain moving all that tire meat is going to be bad for it and again you really are under powered for that.

Just upgrading to the 265 tires is going to raise your truck's height some over the stock 245's( what I believe you have )and give it a more aggressive look. My 04 Ram 4X4 came with the P245/70R17 and I have some Bridgestone Revo's in P265/70R17 sitting here and they are a good 1-1.5" taller. I have held off putting them on to use up more of the 245 tread during the summer when they do okay. I am very anxious to put the Revo's on though.

I suggest you look at the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. It is an awesome AT tire that is quiet on the road, has a long tread life( 60K )with proper rotation, will give you a very comfortable ride on the highgway, and very good off road traction. More of a snow beater than a mud runner but still capable off roading in the dirt. The Yokohama Geolander line are good tires but they do not last very long as a rule( 30K )and are noisey. Price is more or less comparable. The Revo has become THE tire of choice for guys who drive mostly on road but also go off road as well and/or drive in bad weather( not a concern for you in TX I know ).

I paid $675.52 for a set of 4 complete with road hazzard protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply! You've given me more options to look into. Like I said, I haven't done anything yet, just looking into things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.