DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Question

2K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  boosted475 
#1 ·
Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Welcome to DT!

:dtrocks:

To answer your question; yes, there is a date code on each tire. And just like milk-n-eggs, they're required by law to put them from the shelves by a given date.

Here a better thread for the information:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212706

I hope the ABC News link still works.

:)

#4 ·
i remember this
its actually a build date like the bud light I'm drinking now
you dont want tires that have been sitting for several years
I bought tires for our car and truck and checked them when they put them on and all good

#5 ·
Good to know info because I didnt know!!

#7 ·
i did not know this either, thanks for the info guys

#8 ·
yeh they can "expire" but I dont think its a big issue with more of the aftermarket style of tires(ProComp, MT, and the other more aggressive treads). The sizes that are more equal to a factory replacement I can see sitting on a shelf a lot longer.

#9 ·
#10 ·
My old car was a 01' Buick Lesabre Loaded. Because it was front wheel drive, the rear tires has never been replaced by the original owner. About 6 months before I sold it and went in to get new rubber put on, and they told me he's surprised im still alive. he said the rear tires on the car were 7 years old and they should be changed every 3-4. I guess thats why it's also good to rotate them and replace all at once. With my Ram..lol.. I think because its my first Dodge/HEMI. My back tires need to be changed already. (Typical GoodforaYears) Im thinking I may buy newer bigger tires next year so I'll just change the back before winter.

#12 ·
Yeah. I didn't even nessessarily need the truck. I wanted something 4-wheel drive because I drive 60km to work one way and Ontario Winters can be interesting. A good friend of mine (******* Cowboy) got his for a good deal. I mentioned it to the wife, And she said, "Go for it". 4 days later I picked up my brand new Ram And i must say. Im a young guy. Will never go back to cars..and Will always go dodge!

#17 ·
is 9 years the "use" date or the amount of time before they are required to be removed from the shelf? Just curious. I wouldent run anything near that old.

#15 ·
Here's more info:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4813029&page=1

The U.S. tire industry is refusing to give American motorists the same warning given to car owners in Europe and Asia about the possible dangers of tires six years old or older.
tires
(ABC News)

More than 100 deaths in the U.S. have been attributed to aged tires which dried out and lost their treads, even though they appeared to be safe, according to Sean Kane, who heads a private auto safety firm and consults with the federal government.

With no warning from the industry or the federal government, safety experts say the only way for consumers to protect themselves is to learn how to read the cryptic code embedded on a tire's sidewall which reveals the year and week a tire was manufactured.

The code is at the end of a jumble of letters and numbers on the tire and, until recently, was on the inward side of the tire requiring motorists to climb under the car to read the number.
Basically, it's a 4 digit code - the week and last 2 digits of the year the tire was manufactured.

#18 ·
I have, over the last month, had a vibration problem in the back of my truck at highway speeds. So I check the date code on the back of my tires and found “1103”. I bought these tires last year! I have the replacement / road hazard warranty and I believe I’m going to use it. I’ll ask for a set of BFG T/A KO’s and get 285’s instead of the stock 265’s. I’m having the transmission serviced, rear axle checked, and the drive-shaft rebuilt next week. I want the peace of mind of knowing everything is OK. I’m moving to south Texas before the end of the year and I need a truck I can trust. After all, the truck will be loaded and it’s going to be about 13-hours behind the wheel.

:VHOT:

#19 ·
Mine say 0596. Are they too old to use?

#20 ·
My tires were made on the 11th week of 2003; 6-years old. :(

Your tires were made the 5th week of 1996; 13-years old. :hair:
Get those things off your truck before they get you hurt!

#21 ·
But the tread looks fine?

#22 ·
Go to post number nine and click on the link. The web link has information from Discount Tires and I believe it'll answer your questions about the tires being good or bad.

:)

#23 ·
That was just my front tires. My back tires say 1092. What does that translate to?

#24 ·
10th week of 1992; 17-years old.

#25 ·
I don't get how you know the year.

#26 ·
The first two numbers is the week of the year.
The second two number is the year the tire was made.

So "1092" would be:

"10--" the 10th week
"--92" of the year 1992

My tires are labeled "1103"

"11--" the 11th week
"--03" of the year 2003

:teacher:

#32 ·
What are you guys talking about? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.