DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to take the 04 Ltd Hemi on vacation. I'll be carrying up to 1,000 lbs payload and running 75-80 for 10-12 hours. I've been looking at one of the inserts that came with the manuals about tire inflation for loads/higher speeds. Does anyone increase the inflation pressure for higher speeds, or is the 33 psi on the door placard good enough? I have the stock Ltd wheels.

·
Registered
410 Posts
On my trip from MD to TX with my D packed to the hilt I set the tire pressure up about 4 or five pounds from what the the door jam sticker said and I had no problems. I ran 75 - 80 mph the whole time and was getting over 20 mpg the whole trip.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
speed shouldn't influence inflation pressure. Load does though. My rear tires are supposed to be inflated to 30 psi when the vehicle is empty and 35PPSI when full. The fronts dont change regardless of weight since a full load really only puts extra weight on the rears.

·
Triangulo
105 Posts
the insert that came with my D says that above 60 increase 10 psi on the tires

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
hmm, never heard that overinflating is good for high speeds. I do know that underinflated is dangerous at high speeds. Looks like tire mfgs are trying to cover their butts.

Overinflation will prevent overheating of the tires (and the dreaded tread separation caused by underinflationary overheating), but it will give you sketchy handling and accelerated wear. No suprise that the tire company would advise this strategy.

I bet they also advise driving over nails and glass too. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
for 1/4 mile times on race cars it is recommended that you inflate the front tires to max pressure. This creates less resistance for faster times. I added more psi to my tires on my Explorer and they wore uneven (they actually wore just in the middle). The psi recommended for the factory tire I believe is so the most patch is contacting the ground and for the most even wear.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Not only do properly inflated tires wear evenly across the entire tread surface, but they give much better handling in the corners. Overinflated tires handle poorly in the corners.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the mfg placard of 33 psi + 4 psi for higher speeds as recommended by the insert w/ the owners manual. 1500 miles w/ cruise locked at 78 mph most of the time and no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.