Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So, Bob is at the garage now, being checked up. Everything seems to look not to bad. Only minor repairs that I could not do in the driveway. Not to mention we still had snow saturday... about 3 inches :crying

So, the big day is about one month away and we'll leave this cold place to get to the Grand Canyon ! I was looking at the tires and they seem to have a good tread still but the rubber might be old. I'll check the DOT code when it comes back. I'm pretty sure 3 of them are 4-5 years old, the other is new.

Since we're going to do 12 000km (7,500 miles) with them, I'm starting to feel it would be a good insurance to invest in safety and put new tires under it. It's got 235/75/15 Dueller A/T.

We'll do mostly highways and plan to go to some dirt roads to get to some open spaces but probably never more than a two or three from the paved road.

I've read great things on the Michelin LTX MS, some people not sure about the MS2 version. BFG seems to be a bit cheaper, I could have the BFG Long Trail TA Tour for about 15$ less each. We plan to be in Yellowstone NP mid-may which made me think about possible snow too...

It's our first time roadtripping in the USA, your experience would be most appreciated.

Bobcamper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I'm about 4 hours away from Yellowstone and if there winter has been anything like ours I wouldn't worry about snow. I mean I've got flowers blooming and normally this time of year I've still got a foot of snow in the yard.

I'm planning on a May trip there myself and am not even worried about any significant snow.

Sorry I don't have any real tire recommendations though. I just recently got my van and haven't really looked into the tires yet.

·
Off the Grid
1,827 Posts
Tire opinions will spread far and wide.

Do you need an AT tire? You take a MPG hit with AT tires, and they are noisier at speed.

My previous set of Michelins were awesome, and were 7 years old when I replaced them with lots of tread left, but the sidewalls were horrendously cracked. I attribute a good portion of that to dollar store tireshine, and its rubber eating ingredients.

There are only a few D rated tires in the LT 235/75/15. Most are C.

Passenger tires on a Van must XL rated if a passenger tire P235/75/15XL

LT tires are already weight derated for the increased height of the vehicle
P/XL tires must be derated in a van application, by 10% or so.

LT tires must be at a higher PSI than P/XL tires to carry the same weight.

P/XL tires ride a bit smoother with their softer sidewalls. But they might feel squirmy too.

Tirerack.com has a lot of good information on tires.

I now have some Kumho SATKL61 30x9.5x15 load rating C on my Van now. Slightly larger than 235/75/15.

I took a considerable MPG hit in city driving. I've rarely been places where an AT tire was required, and now wish I went instead with the Michelin LTX MS2 instead, or perhaps the firestone destination AT since I wanted the AT portion, even though I have not needed it.

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
I just bought a set of 4 Hankook Optimo H724 P235/75/R15 108S XL WW tires two days ago. Total cost was $324 minus a $25 web only savings, with a final cost of $299 shipped. They're supposed to arrive today. I've got a automotive training school near me that is mounting, balancing, and installing them for free. The only extra is that I have to supply the new valve stems if I want new ones, because the school doesn't keep any there for some reason. So I ordered a set of 25 1.25" and 25 2" valve stems for $17 and I'll let them keep the extras. I figure that I'm still at about half of what a tire place would cost me.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&pc=10986&counter=0&ar=75&rd=15&cs=235

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamesdak, it's great to know that temps are higher than normal this year ! Here it was -2 F this morning... We have it cold and windy this year.

I haven't got the camper back yet from the garage. I'll be able to look at the date stamp on the tires this weekend and will decide if I keep them or not. I'll consider the ones you mentionned,. Alloro, I'm interested in knowing what is the feeling with your new tires one you test drive them.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've had a couple of the Hankook H724's on the front of my '91 B250 and they've been fine. One thing about them is that the tread that meets the road is MUCH narrower than the Michelin LTX's they replaced (same 235 size) and also is more of a highway design.

Not a problem with the way I use my van these days but I don't think they will be near as good in the snow/mud as the Michs were.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.