DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find what I wanted.
When I drive over a stretch of road with a lot of patches, the rear end really hops around. After reading several threads about this, i decided I need to get some Monroe Reflexes or Magnums.
I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I've never replaced shocks before.
Do I need special tools?
How do you remove the tension on the shock?
I assume removing the tire is useful.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I accidently posted in the wrong forum, so here it is again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, reading other threads, I kinda got the impression I should do all four.
If just replacing the rear ones will help reduce the bump-hopping, maybe I'll just do that.
Still, if the OEM shocks are crap, that means the front ones should go, too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Shocks are the easiest part of the suspension. Couple of bolts on all fours, old out, new in. The front ones will take a bit more effort than the rears because they are inside the spring, but still a simple swap. You can probably almost do it without a jack.

Cantact Slammed one on replacements. hey may be able to offer a better solution than just going with a Pep Boys special. He has Nitros from Belltech I know.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I recently replaced all 4 shocks on my 2004 Ram 1500 Quad 4x4 with billstein shocks at 10,000 miles cause the stock shocks were weak. I had to use a jack to lift the shock in place because I could not get the leverage I needed to lift the shock cause the truck is higher then stock. Made a big ride diffrence, I would also say to add a rear sway bar if you are looking for a better handling truck. one thing is if you add a Hellwig rear sway bar make sure the brake line is not under the mount or it will crimp the line like I did.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
a tip when replacing shocks....its easyer to put the new ones on if you take the old ones off first.....no reallyhey are really easy as stated before andyou can usually compress them my hand if need be. the last set of shocks o bought had a plastic band on them to hold them compressed theay are not too stiff. so you should have no problems. ooh btw 3 bolts for the front shocks and i think its 2 bolts per rear shock. the top bolt on the fronts wont seem like it will turn but the rubber grommets on it will let it give a little so. you will have to turn it quite a bit before the nut will start turning. its hard to explain youll see when you do it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Is an alignment necessary after the replacing the front shocks?

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
TREP R/T said:
Is an alignment necessary after the replacing the front shocks?
No, not unless you did some other suspension work at the same time.

·
6,355 Posts
No, you do not need an alignment unless you raise or lower the control arms,(Suspension work as Mopr Fan has said) shocks do not change the alignment angles. The job of the shocks it to keep the tires to the ground and keep them from hoping, hoping is where you see the high and low spots in the tires. Better shocks will also make the truck handle alot better as well.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
my bilsteins will be going on this sat i am going to crank the t-bars 4 turns and slap the new shocks on the fronts are for a 01 off road ram longer shafts

chuck

·
6,355 Posts
I suggest Bilsteins,
I also have bought them from ww.shox.com Please ask for Daryl and also tell him you are a Dodge Talk member, they will sell them $240 shipped which is a good deal. I would also suggest putting a rear sway bar on the truck you will be very happy with the way it handles. I have a 4x4 but instead of cranking the torsion bars I replaced the factory Keyways with offset Keyways from Rough Country Suspension. I love the way the truck looks now but they say you have to becareful on how much you rasie the front end cause the CV Joints are weak. I have not taken mine offroad mich yet but who wants to take a $35,000 truck and ruin it in the mud LOL. That day is coming soon for me cause I want to see what she will do in the mud LOL. if ya need any assistance ask away and I will try to answer any questions, I do almost 90% of the work to my truck except Aligments. which you would have to do if you isntall any kind of lift kit. By the way I used the Factory Billstein Replacements and not the extra lifted shocks.... I dont thing the 01 shocks will work on a 04 cause the suspension is diffrent, 01 rams had the solid axle front end and the 04 have the Indipendant front suspension. you may want to check on that. throw those stock shocks away cause they suck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.