DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a search and didn't find what I wanted.
When I drive over a stretch of road with a lot of patches, the rear end really hops around. After reading several threads about this, i decided I need to get some Monroe Reflexes or Magnums.
I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I've never replaced shocks before.
Do I need special tools?
How do you remove the tension on the shock?
I assume removing the tire is useful.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Oops! Wrong forum. I meant this for the sports truck forum.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
You can do it. You'll need a 1/2 drive and a nice socket
set. 3/8 drive for the front. You'll need a small extension
for the top bolts on the rears.

The rear is just 4 bolts on 2 shocks. I didn't remove the
my spare. The front has 3 bolts. 2 on the bottom and one
on the top per shock.

The front shocks will spin when you try to remove the top
bolt. Just hold the top of the thread with a wrench. ;)

It's an easy job. I wasn't going to do it and the guys here
boosted me up to do this. Saved me $120.00 bucks in labor.

Good luck!

Sil

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tools I got. My wife is constantly asking why I need ALL those tools. Then, I use one for something she needs, and she's glad I got it :D Got all sorts of wrenches, sockets, and jacks and stands.
Just wondering about the process for lifting the truck, then removing the tension on the shock.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My1stRAM said:
Just wondering about the process for lifting the truck, then removing the tension on the shock.

no need just take the old ones off and slap the new ones on.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
My1stRAM said:
Tools I got. My wife is constantly asking why I need ALL those tools. Then, I use one for something she needs, and she's glad I got it :D Got all sorts of wrenches, sockets, and jacks and stands.
No need to lift the truck. ;) Front shocks just turn your wheel all the
way to one side to access them. The rears you can get from underneath.

The rear shocks on my Bilstein's came with a strap around them. You
just install the shock top bolt first and then carefully lower it down into
the lower shock bracket. Of course, you'll cut that strap. :)

Sil

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Don't worry about tension. That's only an issue with struts and our Rams don't use struts.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
when installing the new shocks, any spec on how tight to tighten the nuts?

·
MFIC
682 Posts
bump.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a tip for ya...
i just put new Bilsteins on my 05 4x4. I used the supplied hardware for the front upper mount. The bushing they give you is total garbage. within a week i was having some noise from the front. ReUse the stock bushings if they are in decent shape! the truck actually drove smoother once i converted back to the stock bushings.

The shaft on the bilsteins is slightly smaller in diameter than stock, and it will tend to "swim" in the Stock bushing. but Bilstein supplies you with a steel cylinder that makes up the difference.

the entire swapout of all 4 shocks should take you about an hour, with minimal tools. You can muscle the new shocks and compress them if you have to... not hard at all.

I can change my front shocks quicker than dropping my jack and changing a tire!

·
MFIC
682 Posts
but how about tightening all the hardware back!?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't use a torque wrench, but you should when you know the torque specs, and you have access to said torque wrench.

I tightened all the bolts on the rear and the lower fronts with a standard socket. drive a day or two and recheck them. you just don't want to gorilla the front lowers, because they thread directly into the lower a-arm, and i imagine breaking a bolt off in there could be messy.

the upper mounts on the front should be tightened to just about when the bushing starts to get compressed. you don't want to sandwich the bushings. the nut is open ended, and should have a coating of plastic so it won't back off on you.

sorry i don't have the torque specs for ya..

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Part #

Anyone have the part number handy for the Bilstien shocks needed for the 02 4X4 after t-bars cranked level?

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
i will get them for you later tonight just put mine on

·
Registered
115 Posts
bump

·
Code 3 Rammer
510 Posts
Torque specs for shocks:

Front: top nut 45ftlbs, bottom 100ftlbs
Rear: 100ftlbs for both top and bottom

It is super easy to replace all of them. It gives you a little more room if you jack the truck up (and that is what the factory repair manual says to do), but from eveything that I hear you don't have to. I jacked my front end up, put stands under the front axle, then use the floor jack to relieve a little tension on the wheel. Rears are super easy, I only jacked it up to give myself a little extra room underneath. Also I had to drop the spare as I have a 315/70/17 spare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.