DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When purchaseing tint there are a few things that you will need to know.
Fisrt the amount of light that the tint lets thru. (most states have 35% as leagal) I always go with 20% tint which is darker than 35% but not so dark that I get hassled by the POPO'S. The lower the % the more dark it is.
Second is the tint quality. The higher the number the better the quality of the tint. This makes alot of diff, How it goes on,how long it lasts and how easy it is to scratch. Well worth the few extra bucks per box.

Im sure that you can order pre-cut tint for your windows or pick it up at the local hot rod shop already cut to fit. However it may cost you more to buy pre cut peices. I always go to wallmart for my tint. It seems to be better than that at Autozone.
If you don't buy pre cut tint, you will need to make a template of your windows or cut it close and trim it once it's installed.
Be sure that the tint once installed is below the inside window seal when the window is up. This keeps the seal from tearing at the tints edge every time you crank it down.

Supplies you will need are. Tint, Dawn dish soap, squirt bottle,razor knife,rubber squeegy,lots of water.

Start out by getting your windows clean. You will see bubbles in it if there is dust or lint on the glass.
Once the windows are clean and you are ready to install the tint, get your squirt bottle with a warm soapy mix of water and dawn. Spray your windows with it and then have a freind spray it on the sticky side of the tint as you peel off the clear film.
Do not be afraid to use lots and lots of soapy water. It is the biggest part of tinting.

Once the tint is peeled off and stuck to the wet window spray it again with the water mix. Once you do this grab your squeegy and begin to work the water out from behind the tint. From the center out. You may need to hold it in place with your other hand when you start to work it with the squeegy. Remember to keep it wet!!!!!!!!!!!

Work on one window at a time and don't get in any hurry!!! Once you get one window worked on let it sit for a few min and then lightly spray it again and work out what bubbles were created near the edges. If you notice bubbles that will not seem to move come out, pull the tint back a little bit and spray it with the soapy water mix. Then repeat the process again.

It's important to keep your focus on one window at a time. Work it on then let it sit a while and check it for bubbles. Once you do this a few times and are sure that all the tint is flush and bubble free, let it sit again and then check it. It will need worked more than one or two times. Most of the time people work it on once and then let it dry. Thats why they have bubbles in the tint. You have to keep on it!!!!! And even when you think you are done, it has a tendancy to bubble up again.You just have to keep on it!!!! If you have any questions feel free to ask!!!!!

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never did my back glass in the neon!! ID imagine that you will have to put in two peices to cover the whole thing UNLESS you order specailty cut tint thats ready to install.

If I couldn't get the seams to look right (without a white line) I would run a full size peice up fromt he bottom of the window and what was left un covered I would cover up with a peice of vynil on the outside which matches my car color. I like that look too.

The best thing I can tell you when putting in two peices is to get one on and let it dry. Then go about getting your other half on. Make sure that you butt two factory edges together and use lots of soapy water mix to help you line it up. Then take about an Hour of working it untill you are sure its stuck and will not bubble at the seam.

If one spot is pushing up aginst the other peice it will bubble there! If you have Defroster lines in the back glass you can also use one of these lines to line up your seam with! This will help hide the seam. IF you work with it long enough you can get it to look good, there is no doubt in my mind. Just remember to keep lots of soapy mix handy in the spray bottle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I have to put my 2 cents in here now. Every thing you have said so far is right. i would like to add though that if you cannot get precut tint then you should use the outside of your window as your temple. How you do this is, take the side of the tint that would face the inside (the side without the sticky film) and place it on the outside of your window while the window is rolled down about two inches. Use the edge of the glass to help make a clean cut with your razor blade. And don’t forget to leave enough room at the bottom to go under the seal of the door.

Now I have to go ahead and promote my sponsors at Gila tint. They have some great tint if you’re looking to do it your self. They also offer three different warranties, and a great customer satisfaction guarantee. You can buy their tint at Gilafilm.com where they have an online store or you can find the store closest to you. They have everything you will need to get the job done from pre cut, colored tint, graphics, and rear window kits. I also recommend getting one of their install kits if you have the extra dough. If you look at the picture of my car below I have the pacific blue mirror tint and I installed it myself. You can also find a picture of my car on their site if you fallow the link to Gila show cars.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good eye SXT!! I forgot all about that. LMAO You just have to be sure to get the tint on right when you cut it LOL so you don't end up with two passenger sides or vise versa. LMAO Wouldn't that suck!!

About your sponsors at Gila Tint! You think that they might be interseted in being a DT sponsor? They could pick up some good business from here!! LOL Me for one! I want to re-do my tint and cut in a design. I will go check out their web site tho. sounds sweet! Later

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well i will talk to them and let them know i think that their budget for next year might be comming out so they may be looking but im not 100% on that i will get back to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.