DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to check my timing just to be sure it is OK.
Engine starts and runs good just not the power I feel it should have for a 318 and Edelbrock 1405 carb. When I hook up the timing light No mark, weird huh?
SO to make sure I am doing it right, manually cranked the engine so number 1 Cyl was at the top, When I look at the rotor it seems to be pointing between number 1 wire and number 7 wire (closer to number1). I see the timing mark and it is cut all the way across the Harmonic Balancer, so I mark it well.
I start up and check again and still do not see the mark on the Harmonic balancer, At All! Weird huh?

Since it runs ok just underpowered in my opinion, what/why cant i see the marks?
I would think if I was 180 degrees out, It would be pretty bad and back fire etc.
So I asking for opinions from any experienced people.
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure It was on the compression stroke but I will verify, then test again.
Now another potential resolution.
A Hotrod forum mentioned on the 318 that the Timing Marks on the block are +10 to -10
If more that 10 is needed they said to look for other marks on the Harmonic Balancer and Mark those numbers on the Harmonic Balancer to allow for more that +-10. Example: If 18 BTDC were desired, on the Harmonic Balancer mark the +10. when timing is checked you will be referencing the +10 mark as the new Zero, (then always add 10 to your reading) and it should be at the 10-2=8 so with that make at -2 that would be the real 18.
Anyone every seen that before ?
I was kinda hoping maybe my real timing is just above 10 or 12 so therefore it is not view-able since I only see the max of 10 in my view.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Take out #1 plug(and pull off the valve cover) and verify you are TDC on the compression stroke. Then look at the balancer and see what you have. The outer ring of the balancer can move with age so it may not be right.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's quite possible that the timing mark is just out of view if you're running more than 10 degrees initial timing.
I run 18 on my 360 and also have my vacuum advance hooked up at idle which pushes by timing at idle to somewhere higher than 30 degrees. I can't see it at all.

Definitely do as Moparite said though and confirm you have TDC correct.
If you still can't see the mark, you could purchase some timing tape and install it on the balancer. This is basically what you're doing by marking other points like you described above but a little simpler.
You might also try just cleaning the balancer up - it may already have additional markings on it. Mine did, they were just very faint. I marked the major points (10, 20, 30 degrees) with a punch with 1, 2, 3 dots to see them easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I verified number 1 was on compression stroke, rotated to TDC. The harmonic balancer was at zero. The rotor was close to plug wire number 1 and pointing to the Drivers side intake 1st bolt by number 1 cylinder. The timing scale on the Engine shows +10 to -10. Talked to a Mopar mechanic he said look at the harmonic balancer closely and lightly sand if needed, but you will see other marks, I did about every 1/8 inch. I also found a number 10 and number 13. With soap stone I marked the 10 and put a triangle next to it, then marked the 13 and put a circle by it.
Hooked up the timing light, started engine and there was the missing mark in the strobe flash! The -10 BTDC mark on the Harmonic balancer was at 10 on the block. My Mechanic friend said the 10 Plus the 10 on the Block meant it was timed to 20 degrees BTDC.
I set the timing to 12 and it ran like crap. Set it to 18 and was a lot better. Test drive was not as good as when I started so I set it to 22 BTDC it pinged a little, Put it on 20 (yea my starting point) and it seemed to accelerate and start up best. So a long journey to 20 BTDC for my 318.
I hope my scenario helps someone else that has a missing Mark issue.
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.