DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have the dots lined up on the timing gears (cam at 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock) are you supposed to be at top dead center on compression stroke on the #1 cylinder?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I believe what you say to be correct, however you must be sure you actually ARE on the compression stroke for the 1# cylinder by checking the valves.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am reading now that it should be at TDC compression stroke on the #6 cylinder (with the dots lined up at 12 and 6 o'clock) . The forum I was reading was referring to a 97 318. Would this be the same for a 2001 5.9L?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
ok here ya go dot on cam sprocket at 6:00 dot on crank sprocket at 12:00 is the way to align the sprockets and this put #1 cyl at tdc on the compression stroke every time this is for 318,360 both thats directly from chilton and haynes manual

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I believe what you say to be correct, however you must be sure you actually ARE on the compression stroke for the 1# cylinder by checking the valves.
x2 .......have you taking her apart yet ? aslong as you remove it dot 2 dot , and putt it back on dot to dot your good .

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did take it apart dot to dot, and I put it back together dot to dot without moving the engine at all. I rotated the engine just to make sure everything was good and that is when I noticed both dots were at 12 o'clock when I was at compression stroke on the #1. (I pulled the plug on the #1 piston so I could hear the air escaping.) When the dots were at 12 o'clock crank and 6 o'clock cam the rotor button was pointing towards #6 in the distributor

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here ya go dot on cam sprocket at 6:00 dot on crank sprocket at 12:00 is the way to align the sprockets and this put #1 cyl at tdc on the compression stroke every time this is for 318,360 both thats directly from chilton and haynes manual
I went to the Haynes website and found a forum there ( http://www.haynes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409
)

The "expert" there said:

"I think I know what the problem is. First of all, I can't find in the manual where it claims that the number one cylinder should be at TDC when the cam and crank sprocket marks are aligned as shown in illustration 10.19. Actually, that's when cylinder no. 6 is at TDC on its compression stroke. If you would have left the distributor alone and put everything back together, it would have started (provided everything else is in order). The procedure in the book works whether or not the chain has broken, as long as the distributor isn't removed.

So, to get things timed right, you have two options. One is to put your distributor back in with the rotor pointing to the no. 6 terminal (with the cam and crank marks aligned as in illustration 10.19). The other is to align the marks as in ill. 10.19 then turn the crankshaft one complete revolution so the crank and cam marks are both at 12 o'clock, then install the distributor with the rotor pointing to no. 1 terminal.

Hope this gets you running again. If you need any further assistance, contact one of our tech service reps at [email protected] or 1-800-4-HAYNES."

I am so confused!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cranked her up this morning and there was a loud clicking knocking noise going on. One of the lifters must have bled down while I was working on it, becuse it all went away after I let it run. It took a couple of minutes to completely quieten down. The engine runs well, but I haven't driven it yet due to being sick from working on it this weekend. (Small price to pay to get the truck going!!) The double roller chain (Comp Cams brand) had a lot of slack in it compared to the Cloyes that I replaced it with. I got rid of the tentioner and now the engine revs a lot more freely. Maybe the mpg's will go up a little!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.