DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday, (1/30) I replaced my timing chain in my 3.9 Dakota. Man was it really worn out. Never seen one as bad. Truck has 146K on it & I don't think it had ever been changed. Made a huge difference in performance & the rattle is gone! So if anyone out there has the rattle & is wondering about fixing it, go ahead. Not too hard to do (took me 4 hrs.) & sure will save you $ in the long run.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
what were the symptoms besides the noise? is a v8 a simular application?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't skip or miss a beat, just had that annoying rattle noise. The noise told me the chain was pretty bad. (with cover off, it had 1-1/2" slack) Sorta like that old saying: "Pay me now or pay me later" Things can get ugly (new motor) when a timing chain breaks. Don't know about the V8, as this is the first Dodge I've ever owned. But I hear it sorta runs in the whole product line.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The 3.9 5.2 and 5.9 as all same engine design, v6 is just missing 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I am planning on doing the timing chain on my truck this summer, I still kick my self in the butt for not doing it when I replaced my water pump and all the new hoses a year ago. I figure its getting due for a new one with my truck having about 155,000 miles on it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.