DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with 200,000 miles I recently bought for very little($250). I thought it had a upper end tick. Ended up being the top timing chain guide tensioner is broken off and chain has slack after chain goes over passenger side cam sprocket. I was chasing p0344 and p0340 cam codes. replaced cam sensor crank sensor tested and rewired harness with no luck. I think the cam code is being thrown due to the slop in the chain. I have yet to remove the timing cover but getting close. The truck runs really well. The only symptom's it exhibits are when accelerating over 3500 rpm it surges and bucks ohh and sometimes dies then starts right back up.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with timing chain replacement sets. I know oem parts are best but will cheaper sets do. Any recommendations on what set to get for the money value or to stay away and from where to buy?
Would it be possible that the chains are good and it just needs new guides? unlikely I guess. :nono
If it jumped a tooth do you think it may have bent a valve? It just runs so well I would find it hard to believe. Is there an easy way to test for bent valves?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
you have to replace the tensioner and it typically comes in a timing set...I just recently bought a timing set on rockauto for about $70.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I threw the same code an had this happen to my cam sensor..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find the missing peace. Pulled the timing cover yesterday in -3f weather outside. Just couldn't wait. Finally I have a fun project.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This poor guide broke around last year. Better late than never new timing set in the mail. I went with a cheap set as truck has 200k already. 2 owner truck last owner basically bought new and drove to work day after day on the highway. Looks to have some sludge in there. I just changed the oil but in removing the cover got some coolant in the oil. Would it harm the engine if I ran it like this with some seafoam in the crankcase then changed the oil again in 200 miles or just change it now due to the coolant that got in when popped the timing cover? What do you think?

Attachments

·
beech2000
83 Posts
So I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with 200,000 miles I recently bought for very little($250). I thought it had a upper end tick. Ended up being the top timing chain guide tensioner is broken off and chain has slack after chain goes over passenger side cam sprocket. I was chasing p0344 and p0340 cam codes. replaced cam sensor crank sensor tested and rewired harness with no luck. I think the cam code is being thrown due to the slop in the chain. I have yet to remove the timing cover but getting close. The truck runs really well. The only symptom's it exhibits are when accelerating over 3500 rpm it surges and bucks ohh and sometimes dies then starts right back up.
Please post pictures. My 03 has 297,300 Miles on it and I'm scared she's on her last leg. Mine however runs perfect. Was hoping my truck was worth more than $250 though :frown
Bought it new and love it so much thinking of yard engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please post pictures. My 03 has 297,300 Miles on it and I'm scared she's on her last leg. Mine however runs perfect. Was hoping my truck was worth more than $250 though :frown
Bought it new and love it so much thinking of yard engine.
I will post some pics tomorrow. I'm sure its worth more than $250 LOL. He was going to donate it to a college but they didnt accept it, its worth $250 at scrap yard and he knew I worked on cars.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Would drain the cold -3F oil for a long time to get the AF out before engine turns over and it gets pumped into the brgs;
while the t-cover is off would pour or spill/splash/spray/pump/blow another qt across pan floor to get as much AF
out as possible; leave the new ish oil filter in place. ... Depending how clean pan looks, change oil and filt in a few hundred or 500 or 1000 miles.
... Would not hurt to drain/suck or sponge more AF out so it's farther away from outlet openings. ... just my 02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.