DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2005 Durango SLT 4.7L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a ’05 Durango with a 4.7L engine of which I am the second owner and I have put most of the miles on. I am not a mechanic by trade but I know how to do lighter maintenance (e.g., change the oil, air filter, etc.).

Last month it began running rough and diagnostics said that there was no compression in cylinder one. Normally I would send it to a shop and let them fix whatever is wrong but I wasn’t able to do that because of the high cost I was quoted. So I began a DIY process of trying to fix it myself by taking off the cylinder heads. Once the heads were pulled, a decision would be made on what to do next (fix heads, R&R heads, or new motor). I began the process to pull the cylinder heads and I got as far as the removal of the front timing cover (the crank pulley bolt was a bear to remove BTW) when I noticed that one of the springs for the number one cylinder was broken. The plan is to not pull the heads but to replace the valve spring in hopes that all will be well.

I want to put the timing chain cover and harmonic balancer back on before I replace the valve spring. While I found the torque sequence and torque specs, I haven’t found anything like a “best practices” for installation. For example, could anyone comment on the following questions?

• Do you apply gasket sealant on any of the surfaces?
  • Do you apply anti-seize or thread-locker to the timing cover bolts?
  • Do you bring each bolt up to its final torque spec or do it in stages?
Also, I searched for FAQ’s and haven’t found anything of help so if someone has one they can point me to then I would sure appreciate it.

Greg

BTW, I do have the Fel-Pro TCS46022 kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your not going to pull the heads, buy or rent the spring compressor, you can rent it from airram. , I just did a valve spring this weekend and it was a chore without it. As far as the cover, do you think your timing chain is bad? I wouldn't change it unless you can hear it slapping the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.