Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
Rookie forum member here. I'd like to replace the timing belt on my 1989 Dakota. Has OHC 4 cyl., 2.5,: Would I be able to find a spot where the engine will not move when removing the old belt ? I'm trying to avoid the whole #1 cylinder TDC thing. If I mark all sprockets and carefully release tensioner would that work ?Truck has 86000 miles on it.
Thanx for any input. Charlie.

·
Crazy4x4RT
1,341 Posts
Chances the cams will not move. But if you are replacing the belt it has to be for a reason. The old one stretched or broke. In which you will have to reposition the engine to be in the correct spot. Even if it looks good it is still best to double check. Or else you will have to take it all apart to adjust it another day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanx for the reply. The belt looks OK, but I'm not sure if it was ever replaced, and rather than have it break away from home, thought I'd get it first before it gets me. With 86k on it, don't wanna take the chance. So belt is still there, and I'm driving it. I think that engine is a free engine, so no damage to valves, etc. will happen, but...............truck no go.
Any way that's my reasoning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.