DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several threads about locker switches and smart bars going bad,, i went to the auto parts place and got some dielectric grease and other stuff to waterproof these switches, as well as my new locker bypass that I will be getting soon!!! Thanks ACE!!! so my question is,, is there anything I need to do special, or stay away from, or any tips and tricks or ANYTHING i need to look out for or WHATEVER,, please post up!!! any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
I highly recommend dis-connecting the terminals on your battery before messing with any of it. I found out the hard expensive way with that one.:ugh The locker actuator plugs are a royal PITA to take off. Ended up breaking the small tabs that keep them locked on. If anyone knows how to correctly dis-connect them enquiring minds need to know. Otherwise, I lightly dielectric greased all the pin connections, siliconed where the wires enter the plugs and sprayed fluid film all over the outsides of all the connectors. seems to be holding up so far....:cool: Just my two cents.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Well, it just makes sense to start low. Smart bar & locker plugs are the lowest. One person fried thier smartbar & lockers from a water crossing. Nothing is waterproof for ever, even silicone & if you seal it up that tight, then you gotta start worrying about condensation/corrosion from the inside. Lots of stuff to worry about after you tackle those. Winch, computer/s, fuse boxes, all your wireing plugs in engine compartment & air intake. Extending your vent tubes for F & R axles/T-case/transmission as well. Just some things to consider. Lets us know how you make out with this.

·
Registered
420 Posts
PS, we should not forget the Main Light plug (What I call it) that is just behind your Driver side front Fender. This plug is in direct line with High water and elements.

·
06 Wagoneer
646 Posts
I highly recommend dis-connecting the terminals on your battery before messing with any of it. I found out the hard expensive way with that one.:ugh The locker actuator plugs are a royal PITA to take off. Ended up breaking the small tabs that keep them locked on. If anyone knows how to correctly dis-connect them enquiring minds need to know. Otherwise, I lightly dielectric greased all the pin connections, siliconed where the wires enter the plugs and sprayed fluid film all over the outsides of all the connectors. seems to be holding up so far....:cool: Just my two cents.
After you get the stupid red tab pulled out you still need a very small/thin flat screwdriver to pry up the little locking tab between the male & female connections. You actually have to stick it in between the two. It's not that hard on the ones that are easy to get at. The harder locations are a different story!! Try finding one under the hood that you can get at fairly easily and practice. Make sure you don't fry anything though.........Gunni........sorry man had to do it ;)

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
After reading several threads about locker switches and smart bars going bad,, i went to the auto parts place and got some dielectric grease and other stuff to waterproof these switches, as well as my new locker bypass that I will be getting soon!!! Thanks ACE!!! so my question is,, is there anything I need to do special, or stay away from, or any tips and tricks or ANYTHING i need to look out for or WHATEVER,, please post up!!! any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!
You are welcome! :D The instructions are in the box, too.

As for detailed instructions for the bypass, I haven't installed one yet, but many here have. If you have any problems installing it, just post the questions, and one of the guys that installed it will be able to help!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
PS, we should not forget the Main Light plug (What I call it) that is just behind your Driver side front Fender. This plug is in direct line with High water and elements.

What does this plug/wires control ???? Any ideas ???

·
PowerwagonMark
2,015 Posts
I have never greased or siliconed the smartbar or lockers had them under water manytimes and never had a problem. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have never greased or siliconed the smartbar or lockers had them under water manytimes and never had a problem. Go figure.
Pull your wiring harness of your smartbar and check out your pins. Are any corroded or beginning to corrode? Just curious...

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
X2 on the fluid film. Although I have noticed that the dust/dirt sticks to it. Oh well. Keep er lubed up and she will be happy!:werd:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice!!! im probably gonna tackle this this weekend,, since I got my LOCKER BYPASS TODAY!!!!!!!!!! THANKS ACE!!!!:rck::rck: you da man!!! and the hoodie looks great too!!!:worthy:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Spray the both ends of the plug real good with electrical parts cleaner, let dry, then W4-40, let dry, go easy on the dielectric grease, too much can bend the pins and break them.

Wrap the wiring coming out from the plug real good with electrical tape as far up as you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts