DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to say goodbye to Dodge. Not just yet but I came to the decision last night. Let me explain. I have always been a Chevy guy. My first car when I was 15 was a 91 Camaro with the 305 V8. Drove me wild. After that I had a S10, then a Blazer, then a supercharged Monte Carlo SS. Well during those years I had kids and got married and all SO during my ownership of the Monte Carlo I found out my wife was preggers, now we already have two children but they are old enough to hop in the backseat of the car but pulling a carseat in and out of that thing? No thanks. I took up the hunt for a Suburban with a third row because I loved the Chevys. Could not find one (used) in my already tight budget. Out of the blue a dealer showed me a Durango and I liked it and didnt have problems with Dodge like I do with Ford so I gave it a test ride and loved it, loved it more than the Suburbans I test drove and could not afford. So we signed the papers that day. Day 3 of ownership included replacing the exhaust, my first mod on a Dodge.

Well I have made more mods and love the thing. I figure in about two years our new baby will be big enough to hop in the backseat of a car by herself so I had been looking at going back to a sports car because my wife wants a Town and Country. I get the vroom vroom and she gets lots of room.

Well my first instinct was the 2010 Camaro. Timing is right and it looks and sounds awesome. So I had my heart set on it UNTIL I saw the new Challenger up close, sat in it, and felt the 6.1L. Well I love my Durango and have had no problems with Dodge so I decided to cheat on Chevy again and my mind was set on a new Challenger. I knew I had to wait a couple of years until my new baby was 3ish in age so if I needed to carry her somewhere all I needed was one of those small booster seats for her, no big ass car seat.

Well recently with the government using my tax money to bail out Chrysler/Chevy I have decided not to buy another product from either of them. I mean my tax dollars are going towards paying for a car sitting on the lot now, I cant go to the stealership and pick up a free car can I? No, If I want a new Challenger, I have to give MORE money, so a $40,000 Challenger is not costing me $80,000. Same with the Camaro.

I looked around at other new vehicles from Nissan, Toyota, VW, and a few others but no one offers AMERICAN MUSCLE except Ford and I am not buying a Ford. Dont need another ******* in a mustang around here (seems to be thousands of them everywhere in this area).

SO since the competition is lacking muscle I am stuck with one option. Once I get rid of the Durango I am buying a used vehicle. I have been eyeing the 2007 Monte Carlo SS with the V8. I can buy a used chevy because my tax dollars didnt go to pay for it. But the MC is FWD, odd for a muscular v8 (6.0L).

After much more research and drooling I have narrowed it down. I will be buying a 2006ish Pontiac GTO with the 6.0L.

So while I will be here for Dodge talk for the next couple of years roughly, after that I am done with Chrysler (and GM!) as far as new vehicles go.

My wife wont be getting a Town and Country either!

I just wanted to vent because I am/was a small business owner and the down economy killed my business. I didnt get a small business loan because my only collateral is my house and I dont mix personal with business so I am breaking even and shutting down after almost 2 years of doing ok. And unlike GM/Chrysler, the government has not offered to step in and give me millions/billions (or even hundreds!) to keep me afloat so I am just a little pissed about the whole thing.

Nice to rant every now and then!!

·
What! Me Worry?
1,547 Posts
So , you like the Durango and haven't had any problems with it. But... you're getting rid of it.

Whatever!

Do your thing.

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
you will come back thay always do i know i did and i am never leaving again

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So , you like the Durango and haven't had any problems with it. But... you're getting rid of it.

Whatever!

Do your thing.

Yea I like it alot but I like a 500hp coupe alot better :cool:

Obviously it wont be a stock 500hp but i love to mod so getting the 06 GTO to 500hp is a piece of cake on a smaller budget.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
tis ok.. a GTO isn't a chev either... it's a holden with a chev engine iirc....

A couple guys up here have them, imported from the states... they're nuts... Bumble Bee in Transformers was a GTO with the new camero skin (or something along that lines, or so I hear)

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Are you going to quit using banks too? They were the ones that got the "bailout". The car companies got a LOAN that has to be paid back........

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts
Good Luck and enjoy your new ride!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you going to quit using banks too? They were the ones that got the "bailout". The car companies got a LOAN that has to be paid back........

Actually the bank I use is a small local bank so they didnt get a bailout if I am not mistaken. Bank of America, who I used to use, did though.

But at the rate banks are closing up yea it might be better to keep it in a mattress anyway.

And how are the car companies going to pay back billions of dollars? It will end up being written off or they will just end up closing in even more debt in 5 years. I see what you are trying to do there, point out how illogical my idea is. But the flaw is, I dont care. I may not be able to totally quit using any business that got a bailout check but I can do my best and this is a good start in my opinion.

And yeah, the GTO is a Holden with the corvette 6.0L in it. The body is slightly different but I planned on actually importing the Holden body kit because it makes the GTO look badass.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea thats it. The one I saw had a "sport" body kit on it, some factory option. It will bolt directly up to the GTO so I will get me one once I find my new baby.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Actually the bank I use is a small local bank so they didnt get a bailout if I am not mistaken. Bank of America, who I used to use, did though.

And how are the car companies going to pay back billions of dollars? It will end up being written off or they will just end up closing in even more debt in 5 years. I see what you are trying to do there, point out how illogical my idea is. But the flaw is, I dont care. I may not be able to totally quit using any business that got a bailout check but I can do my best and this is a good start in my opinion.
Chrysler paid off the last "bailout" in the 80's and they paid it off early. That billion dollars in 1981 money was less than the 4 billion they got this time in 2009 money.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Makes sense :crazy:, won't buy a GM or Dodge but will buy a Pontiac.... Last I checked they were GM.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not for too long.

GMInsidenews.com is quoting sources lacking even the thinnest euphemisms who whisper that Pontiac and GMC both could be on the chopping block. "At the moment," writes "nsap" of GMI, "the GM Board of Directors is leaning toward killing GMC as the brand is made up entirely of rebadges. The Board is also taking into consideration that GMC is mostly trucks and SUV's, both market segments that slowly dwindling." HUMMER is for sure dead (duh), and Saturn may get bumped to the PBG channel if (when) this all takes place. Not only does GMI fail to indicate a source, they attach a disclaimer. "Please remember that all of the above are RUMORS and should not be taken as solid fact." The only thing this rumor has going for it is that it makes a lot of sense. Neither brand really does anything Chevrolet can't, and in bad times that means they're expendable. BUT (caps lock off) GM can't kill anything without killing an entire channel (Buick, Pontiac, GMC)– and facing thousands of lawsuits. Unless they're in bankruptcy.

Owned

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
LOL, I love the "owned" at the end.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes sense :crazy:, won't buy a GM or Dodge but will buy a Pontiac.... Last I checked they were GM.

You missed the whole point of my post or didnt read it. I said I would not buy a NEW GM/Chrysler because our tax dollars have paid for those cars sitting on the lots now.

A used car from 2006 was not paid for by my tax dollars.

So instead of paying double for a new car, like I stated in my first post, I will just be buying a used car and paying for it once. The only person profiting from me buying the used car will be the person selling it (probably someone on Ebay).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chrysler paid off the last "bailout" in the 80's and they paid it off early. That billion dollars in 1981 money was less than the 4 billion they got this time in 2009 money.

Well once all is said and done, if they can recover, and I am doubting it, once the loan is paid off and new lines of vehicles are shipped out I might considering buying from one of them again but I will not buy a new vehicle that has already been paid for. Why you ask? Screw them! Thats why.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Habla Mentiroso!

If you want to change your Durango because you want a 2 door car, just do it, if you want to buy another brand, just do it. I thnik the key is that you are doing it because that is what you want and what you feel at that time, not because of the bailouts the government is giving. This economic crisis is huge not only on size, but how it's spread on all economy sectors, you won't be able to live in the US by that logic.

Besides, a great part of how good the economy was in the past 5 years or so is related to the causes of this crisis, so sometimes things are good and sometimes not so good; in a couple months things will start to be better again.

I am not trying to prove you wrong nor anything, on the opossite, things are really complicated right now, so for us who likes cars (and by your choices I know you do) it's better to leave our hobby alone and separated from all the shizzle that is going around right now.

As a side note, I have been liking Dodge since they launched the "new" (new by then) Ram around 98 I think and it would be really sad to see Chrysler just go bye-bye and loose Hemis, Chargers, Challengers... so I think US dollars are better used saving american muscle than many of those banks... (although I understand the cost of not saving them could be even worse, well I don't know that's what they want us to beleive right)?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.