DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it with the CRAP radio and constant mind numbin' chatter on my local radio...

So I want to go to Sirius, I've got a 2005 D with the full NAV system. What did I need to add to get Sirius, and any ideas on a cheap place to get it?

also, I have a second car, so I was looking at some of the portable receivers, Any input on those?

thanks

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
If you get a new stereo in both vehicles with the jack on the back, you can use a portable Sirius radio and plug it in. That way you can move the one portable sirius radio between 2 vehicles that are similarly equipped, but you still need the external antenna.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The cheapest easiest way is with an FM transmitting type Sirius tuner.

However, I prefer a factory style installation. I'm assuming you have the REC Navigation stereo. If so it is designed for use with the Chrysler Sirius tuner. Using such a tuner allows the Nav stereo to display channel title, artist and ability to select channels, catagories etc. from the stereo's controls.

You'll need two Mopar parts. The tuner itself and then an install kit specific to your Durango. It is more expensive for this type installation but makes for a factory installation with full features of your stereo being used.

This is about the cheapest I've seen it because it comes with a free 1yr subscription to Sirius. The two items normally sell for about $300 but Ebay sometimes has them listed for less.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/durang...ith-FREE-1-Year-Subscription-P11804C3709.aspx

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
those FM transmitter setups are pure junk. If sound quality matters at all, get the hard wired setup.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you have an aftermarket Clarion then the SIRCL1 module should work. I don't know of such a module for a Saab factory stereo.

I have used a similar module for an Alpine deck with excellent results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm getting some mixed results here...

If I call my local dealer (Canadian) It's $311 for the receiver and they are not sure if it needs the install kit, or if it come with free service.

Auto Truck Toys.com has a 'KIT' (again not sure if it's the mounting hardware and receiver) for $379US + 1yr free

The Bellingham Dealer has the receiver for $175, install kit $150.

On some posts I've seen that since I have the limited, loaded with sunroof and NAV, I don't need the install kit.

Any have the real deal? Or even better, any canadians out there done the upgrade? I have a vacation place in Wasington, so getting it over the boarder is not a problem. So even if someone know of a cheap online mopar site...

thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have an '04 Ltd that came with the sunroof and no nav. Mine isn't wired for Sirius. (Yet.) ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know why you'd need anything more than the antenna on the roof hooked into your factory nav/ stereo system. Once you do get the Sirius, you'll never want to go back to plain old AM/FM. I've had both Sirius and XM and XM doesn't even come close. When Sirius says commercial free, they mean it. XM likes to make the claim they are commercial free, but that's a bunch of garbage. It's like the Cingular commercial that says they have the "least" drop calls when they are actually the worst. You'll love Sirius.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
emrobin said:
............ It's like the Cingular commercial that says they have the "least" drop calls when they are actually the worst. You'll love Sirius.
I switched from Verizon to Cingular. No one could be worse than Verizon. :hijacked:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go Factory!!

I added the factory unit to mine - yes more expensive, but easy to install yourself, looks professional, and will be WAY more easy to operate than any add-on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wclark8127 said:
I added the factory unit to mine - yes more expensive, but easy to install yourself, looks professional, and will be WAY more easy to operate than any add-on.
Did you need the receicer and install kit? Is your D a limited with Nav/Sunroof?

How hard is it to pull down the headliner and look for the connection wire? And what should I look for to see if I need the install kit?

Last, did you get a free year of service with yours?

·
Registered
209 Posts
canyonD said:
those FM transmitter setups are pure junk. If sound quality matters at all, get the hard wired setup.
I don't have any problem with my FM Transmitter setup. I am not an audiophile but it sounds as good as regular radio to me. The only annoyance is when you travel through an area that has a station set up near the same frequency as your transmitter. If you are close to their transmitter you do get some bleed over. I guess that I would prefer a hard wired connection but my Xact is old school and I am too cheap to buy a new one until it breaks...lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am not an audiophile but it sounds as good as regular radio to me.
Then you're missing out. Sirius is CD quality and sounds much better than regular FM.

·
Registered
209 Posts
emrobin said:
Then you're missing out. Sirius is CD quality and sounds much better than regular FM.
Can't hear the quality anyway over the CAI sucking all the air and the exhaust spitting it out.. :rck: NOW that sounds good to me..

Besides I listen to Reggae on channel 33 and I can't understand most of it anyway...lol :D

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
jobemc said:
Can't hear the quality anyway over the CAI sucking all the air and the exhaust spitting it out.. :rck: NOW that sounds good to me..

Besides I listen to Reggae on channel 33 and I can't understand most of it anyway...lol :D
I love the reggae too :)

but I must emphaisize that fm transmitters degrade sound quality considerably compared to a hard wired connection

·
Registered
209 Posts
canyonD.. did you install the SIRIUS FM Direct Adapter yourself (or do you in the aux) if so was it on the factory radio and how hard was it to install?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok - Santa was good to me!

I've got the mopar Kit and Receiver, and an S50 for the car.

The Mopar directions have the receiver being installed under the hatch in the back. I thought I had herd from people that it installs under the headliner. If at all posible I'd rather not lose that storage space.

Where is your mopar sirius?

P.S. Listening to the siruis online right now... FM is DEAD to me ;-)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have the Automatic Temp Control ? If so the wiring should already be installed under the headliner at the rear of the Durango.

I installed/added the sirius to my 04 Limited w/Nav Sunroof and Auto Temp. After drilling the holes in the roof it was basically Plug & Play. The hardest part was gathering the courage to drill 2 holes in the roof. (So far no leaks)

·
Registered
353 Posts
You guys are inspiring! After listening to all the potential issues of installing Sirius in a D, I bit the bullet and activated the factory installed unit on my '04 D. There is no need for a FM post-mortem....What was I waiting for? $12.95 a month? I'll save that by downsizing my morning Joe...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.