DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its about that time for any new round of shocks. They're going on a '01 1500 4x4. Any body have any input about which is better? I don't do alot of true offroading, just work and occasional dirt roads. I've heard that the Ranchos ride overly harsh, but has anyone tried the Edelbrocks. I haven't found anyone that has tried them.
Also I will be adding 2" leveling spacers, should or could i use extended shocks up front before i put the lift on, and does it seem odd that these OEMs died at only 64,000 mls?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I just bought a set of 4 Rancho 9000's. They are adjustable, so your supposed to be able to set them to a softer ride then the Rancho 5000. Main reason I got them was that they were buy 4 get 1 free during the month of April. I should have them installed in the next week or 2. I'll let you know what I think.

·
Ironram
308 Posts
dont do the rancho 5000 they suck i hate them to ruff i wanted the edelbrock but noone had them around here so i went with the rancho never again will i do that mistake

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I just bought four Tuff Country 9000 shocks from eBay seller, $129 shipped. They are not bad, a bit stiff but not too bad. Whatever brand you go with, make sure you get 2 fender washers with a hole big enough for the lower bolt to go through. Tape them to the shock BEFORE you install and you will not have any rattles.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I found the Skyjacker Nitro's to be a great set.They have a nice firm ride and out lasted all the others I've tried.

·
Ironram
308 Posts
at the point i said earlier about the rancho 5000's i noticed a something rumblimg around under the truck a few weeks ago i could feel it in the floor board today i pulled the d side front shock out and it was bad after only 2 months so never will i by rancho again the thing with the washers you dont need that just make sure you tighten the bottom bolt good use an impact if you have one or a breaker bar

·
2,032 Posts
Ironram said:
at the point i said earlier about the rancho 5000's i noticed a something rumblimg around under the truck a few weeks ago i could feel it in the floor board today i pulled the d side front shock out and it was bad after only 2 months so never will i by rancho again the thing with the washers you dont need that just make sure you tighten the bottom bolt good use an impact if you have one or a breaker bar
You are wrong there dude. I used a 285 lb/ft impact on mine and COULD not get them tight enough to sandwich the bracket on the shock eye. Many others have had the same problem. Besides, put the washer in first and you will definately NOT have the rattle.

·
Ironram
308 Posts
what ever i guess thats why they were equipped with the washers from the factory i have never had to put a washer there they really only need about 150 lbs of torgue to to tighten them

·
2,032 Posts
Ironram said:
what ever i guess thats why they were equipped with the washers from the factory i have never had to put a washer there they really only need about 150 lbs of torgue to to tighten them
Yeah, whatever...

The factory bushing is wider than the aftermarket bushing, I visually saw this 1 week ago, it is a fact. And yes, 150 lb/ft should be more than sufficient to TIGHTEN the bolt, but not to keep the shock from rattling. Hey this is only from mine and a few others experience though, maybe we are all stupid or something.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
my procomps went in just fine. no extra washers just the equipment provided, really tight fit so it works well.

·
2,032 Posts
cmh2007 said:
my procomps went in just fine. no extra washers just the equipment provided, really tight fit so it works well.
It is good to know that at least some aftermarket shocks fit correctly. I know the Rancho, Tough Country, and Ruff Country don't, at least that is what is reported by many on here. And to think I was going to get the Pro-comps until I found these at such a good price...

We should make a list of which ones fit and which ones don't.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
i have the es3000's and they're kinda stiff but i prefer the stiff ride to improve handling. i think the 5000 is a softer shock but not sure.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Davcruz,

What exactly do I need to get in the way of washers (size, how many, etc...). I think I am going to get some for my Rancho 9000's just in case I need them. Better to have them on hand in case I need them then to have to run back to the store.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, since nobody answered your question about the Edelbrock shocks, I guess I will.

Had the IAS shocks on my truck for about 6 months and never once liked them. They felt like they were for a 2000-pound lighter truck. The suspension wallowed all over the place going over bumps and undulations on the freeway. The shocks even allowed the front and rear end to bottom out going SLOWLY over speed bumps.

When I was researching shocks 6 months ago the consensus was slightly in favor of the Edelbrocks (with the Bilsteins a close second), so that's what I bought. Should of bought the Bilsteins. And actually I did, last week. Put 'em on and wow, what a difference. Instead of an out-of-control feeling on less than perfect roads, the truck has a newfound feeling of stability. Instead of bottoming out the suspension going into driveways and on roads undergoing construction/improvements, the truck keeps it's composure completely.

Can't recommend the Bilsteins enough. Got 'em for $239.80 out the door (free shipping over $200) from eshocks. com.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with Bigblue2 completely on the Bilsteins. I really don't think you can find a better shock. Just my 2 cents worth...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.