DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just hit 71k miles on my ram, and i have been using regular oil. im wanting to go synthetic. any good brands that i should use?? also, can i just switch to synthetic when i change my oil? or do i have to do other things as well? i wouldnt think it would be good ot mix the oil, but im not sure.

·
Sport'in
836 Posts
Royal purple, mobil 1, amasol. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of people's opinions on different oils. I personally like the Royal purple the best.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have heard good things about royal purple but never used it. I personally used Mobil 1 on my Z71 and it never had any problems in 194k. Mobil 1 oil and every other oil change use some Techron additive in the gas and it'll last forever.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, what about switching from regular to synthetic oil?? anything that HAS to be done? or do you just do a normal oil change and just put in synthetic when u put the oil in?

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
i would say put in the cheapest synthetic you can find for now, drive it for 1k miles then put the good stuff. that is just to clean out all the sludge that might develop from mixing the 2 oils.

·
Sport'in
836 Posts
BIG BLK 5.7 said:
i would say put in the cheapest synthetic you can find for now, drive it for 1k miles then put the good stuff. that is just to clean out all the sludge that might develop from mixing the 2 oils.
That isn't a bad idea

·
Registered
285 Posts
Someone has said its a bad idea to switch at high mileage, but what
are they calling high mileage? Say it will cause seals to begain to leak
Anyway, something else to consider...research.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
only way it will leak is if you have bad seals to begin with. synthetic gets really think and therefore fits into tiny spaces. dino oil cant get that thin so it wont leak as often. I wouldnt worry about it though.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,292 Posts
well i switched mine over to synthetics at 63k and have had no problems, as long as you dont have any current leaks you should be okay

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
Dad switched a 95 Cherokee over at 190K miles. never did leak any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have used Mobile 1 since day 1 and no problems. As long the oil container has the API seal emblem on the back it should be good. Use Mobile 1 in my truck and wifes GM car. Use a wal-mart brand full- synthetic in my 220,000 mile GM I drive to work. No problems.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You can switch without doing anything special. Just drain your oil and add your new oil like you would any other time. The only thing I would do is maybe let it drain out a little longer than usual to make sure your getting the most sythetic. As far as the high mileage thing goes, they say 70,000-75,000 is the high milage mark and yes I have been told that you should not switch to synthetic due to it being more "slippery" if you will it can cause problems if the inside of your motor is a little tired. They do make high milage synthetic now though so that would be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
The high milage synthetic, is what I switched to when I hit 75k.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
chrfoster10 said:
ok, what about switching from regular to synthetic oil?? anything that HAS to be done? or do you just do a normal oil change and just put in synthetic when u put the oil in?
You don't have to do anything different but with 70k on your engine you might want to consider a flush instead of an oil change only. The flush will get all kinds goo out of your motor. It aint cheap but it's a "feel good" thing.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
That flush has been known to clog pickup screens though

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’m running AMSOil in my truck, my Jeep and all company vehicles. I switched the Dodge over to it at around 5,000 miles, about the time it would have been broken in on regular oil. Also witched out all of its other fluids, Trans, T-Case and diffs.

When you say high mileage, are you referring to a gas or diesel engine? I’d sa 100k on a diesel isn’t ‘high mileage’, but if you were going to run synthetic at say maybe 500k miles, than you mite have a problem. 200k on a gas engine would be high mileage.

The only problem you mite see if you switch over conventional to synthetic is crap clogging your oil pick up tube. But with just over 70k miles, I don’t think you’d have any problems. A buddy of mine has a Jeep with the 4.0L, pushing 230K miles and hes running synthetic in it.

AMSOil is great, Royal Purple is also good. If you cant get your hands on either, use Mobile 1. I see your in NM, so that means you have a Checker Auto out there. If you really want Royal Purple and the store dose not have it, have them order it with part number: 01130. If they cant find it under the part number (some new kids cant) have them look it up under the sku: 7186893 * This is for the 10w30. What you should be running in your 4.7L.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.