DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BALL JOINT DESTROYER
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE AN '03 2500 CTD. I HAVE NOTICED A TICKING SOUND ALMOST "LIFTERISH" SOUNDING. ESPECIALLY WHILE ACCELERATING. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE AEM COLD AIR INTAKE CAN MAKE EVERY NOISE IN YOUR INDUCTION SOUND 100 TIMES LOUDER. INCLUDING THE EGR. OR COULD IT BE AN INJECTOR DUMPING OUT? I GRABBED THE LINE RIGHT BEFORE THE BLOCK ON THE FIRST INJECTOR AND IT WAS PULSATING...ONLY ONE DOING IT.
ANY THOUGHTS?:mad:

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
the 03's ain't got egr, i don't think...........:WHT::dunno:

my truck makes a tickin noise occassionally too, but i don't really worry bout it:cool:

·
Registered
810 Posts
The number one fuel line on all CR engines pulses like that. Ticking is also a common trait on CR engines. Mine does it on and off. Id it running any different?

·
BALL JOINT DESTROYER
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....I noticed it starting this winter...but i think I probably just didn'y hear it during the summer with the windows down and radio etc...
It doesn't really run any different, just a little louder and that damn tickinh sound. I guess it's just a diesel joy eh!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 05 had a noticable "lifter tick". I change the oil (was last changed before i bought it) , put in 15w40 rotella and a qt of lucas oil stabilizer. POOF , no more tick.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the valves probably need adjusting. had mine done at 29000 miles and it sounds better

·
BALL JOINT DESTROYER
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well fellas....put in some lucas oil stabilizer and a fresh tank of fuel....whalla....no more ticking. I don't know if it was the oil treatment oe a bad tank of fuel previous? Either way...gone now!

·
Registered
440 Posts
that is exactly why I use Lucas oil stabilizer in my Freightliner. 2 gallons Lucas, 8 gallons oil. 830,000 miles, it sure helps quiet the old pig down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was thinking about this today. My truck hold 12 and a half qts of oil. I put 1 qt of lucas in. I think my ratio is off a bit. I think its supposed to be 1 qt per 5 qts of oil. I think next oil change I will put 2 qts of lucas to get the correct ratio.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welp, Lucas wants you to put in 20%, but I know several folks who use 10% and have good results. Lotsa folks on here will castigate you severely for putting any additive at all in it, and I don't put additives in my 30k mile CTD PU, but....
The Freightliner has a ton of miles on it, probly could use new rods and mains. The additive certainly helps, I maintain 10k mile oil changes, and it uses no oil ( ok, maybe a small amount, a qt or 2, but it leaks most of that...) betwixt changes.

·
BALL JOINT DESTROYER
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I am swithching to Rotella myself next earl change. Hear lotsa good things about it. Lucas also....though I agree with the chastizing due to additiive use...everyone has their opinions.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I run the synthetic Rotella in my CTD. Like so much else, oil brand is a matter of personal taste, but I figure if it meets manufacturers specs, then it's fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cummins wants you to use Valvoline, but they will tell you off the record that that Shell Rotella is just as good maybe better. I personally run Rotella with the fleet guard filters from Cummins, dont buy any thing from Dodge they will rob you. Mopar fuel filter 47 dollars 10 micron. Fleetguard (cummins) 7 micron 15 dollars, no brainer same goes for the oil filters, I experienced that yesterday.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can order it directly from Cummins, the price is not bad either. Just courious how often does every one change there oil. I have been changing mine about every 3500-4000 miles, and that stuff is black as coal, heck its black after I change it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was just in the Cummins store here in Indy yesterday I think it was 16 dollars a quart.

Heres there Info

Cummins Crosspoint LLC.
2601 Fortune Circle East Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46241

Toll Free
Local: (317) 243-7979
Fax: (317) 240-1925

Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.