DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have a 99 durango 5.2L auto 4x4. it has around 120000mi. It has a strange ticking noise when i put it into reverse. It only does it really in reverse tho. I have already changed the intake gasket. and plugs and wires. Also one of the wheel bearings. waterpump, ball joints. dont think any of those had anything to do with it. It also does it regardless of if its in 2wd 4pt. 4ft. or 4lo. I can't figure this out plz help me!!!!:mad:

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Strange. If it was an old 8V92 2 stroke Detroit Diesel I could suggest a few things for the noise however with an automatic trans the engine should make the same noise going forward.

The only thing that's really changing direction is the drive shafts and axle gears. I'd check out the U joints and if you haven't done an axle service (front and rear) it'd be a good idea to check. I have roughly 134K miles and my u joints are tight and never been touched. On cold mornings I get some injector noise for a short while but it stops.

If you have the means, lift all four wheels off the ground and put it into 4wd and check out each axle/wheel area to see if something is rubbing that might cause a ticking sound. As we can't hear the exact noise it makes it all that harder to guess at the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see the weird thing is that it will make the noise when the truck is at a complete stop. no wheels turning at all. and yes when i rev the motor it does increase and decrease. When i had the intake off it didn't seem like any of the lifters were junk or anything. I was thinking maybe an exhaust leak but i think it wouldn't matter what gear it was in it would make the noise. also it does it in 2wd as well as all the 4wd gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry it took so long to be back on i been crazy busy

see the weird thing is that it will make the noise when the truck is at a complete stop. no wheels turning at all. and yes when i rev the motor it does increase and decrease. When i had the intake off it didn't seem like any of the lifters were junk or anything. I was thinking maybe an exhaust leak but i think it wouldn't matter what gear it was in it would make the noise. also it does it in 2wd as well as all the 4wd gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easy fix, its probably a lack of grease in your wheel bearing. My Ram gets it all the time. doesnt actually hurt anything, just annoying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay also have this posted in the dakota forums and still not getting anywhere. This sux this noise is driving me freaking crazy its been going for about 6mo+ with it doing this so i am guessing its something stupid. is there anyone who has had something similar or close to this plz lett me know

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes it does give me a little bit i will video tape it and put it on here. stopped or moving it makes the noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a problem with exhaust manifold studs that were broken and the sound was very similar. In your case, there appears to be related to the inclination of the engine on its supports while in reverse gear. The problem may be between one of your exhaust manifold flange and the end of the "Y" pipe. Also check the engine mounts and make sure nothing of the powertrain come in contact with the frame or someting else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so i got a flat tire the other night and went to firestone to get a new one. they pull off the tire and tell me i need a new axle on the front passenger side. There was no way i was gonna pay 7-800 bucks for those guys to do it. so the next day i bought the axle( 59.95) autozone. and put it in and I have solved the ticking problem!!! This was strange to me since i have heard axles making the tick before however never when stationary always when moving. it was strange that if the truck was in gear and wasn't moving that it would make that noise thats why i eliminated that from possible causes. Guess i shoulda followed my gut from the begining. Thanks to everyone who had suggestions to fix the problem hope this may help someone else in the future!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.