Votes: 11 78.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my steering stabilizer and am torn between two options - I have an 06 2500 CTD with 35" Toyo MTs and do little off road and when I do, it's light stuff.

I've been reading issues with Thuren's as being over pressured and your truck will pull, almost overkill unless you have dual stabilizers to counteract and balance out. I've also read that Defiant's is the perfect match with 35 tires, and is all you really need unless you have 37" tires and are regularly doing extreme off road.

Defiant's
http://www.defianttruckproducts.com/display_part.php?prt=128

Thuren's
http://thurenfabrication.com/ramstab.html

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've never had a issue with any of my Thuren suspension or steering. He stands behind is work. But I have a dual Bilstein 5100 setup on my steering. Got that before Thuren released his design. I'll be going Hydro assist next.

·
OOORAH!
1,087 Posts
silkywoods said:
I've been reading issues with Thuren's as being over pressured and your truck will pull, almost overkill unless you have dual stabilizers to counteract and balance out.
Just release some nitrogen.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Jeeze those have a hefty price tag. I had a skyjacker single before with 37" tires, it was great, this time I went with skyjacker dual and it's STILL cheaper then either of those, and probaly better considering it's dual compared to those singles....

·
OOORAH!
1,087 Posts
mocho said:
I had a skyjacker single before with 37" tires, it was great, this time I went with skyjacker dual and it's STILL cheaper then either of those.
Because its a Skyjacker. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
You may want to look at Defiants Duals set up. A little more than Thurens' S/S. Well worth it from what I was told. I do have the single Defiant S/S your looking at. It's better than stock, but it's a emulsion shock and can lose dampening over several cycles (even then its not like a shock on all four corners that work a lot more than a S/S).

The only thing on the IFP single stabilizer like Thurens' is. Too much pressure it pushes you to the left. Not enough you may pull to the right. Anything under 100 psi it will not have enough dampening for it to use as intended. That came from Don and my personnal experience w/ a IFP single stabilizer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have run IFP steering dampers as low as 50 psi, and they still have good damping quality. As long as they do not cavitate, they will perform fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how often do you have to check pressure? I want a maintenance free stabilizer. Is there no such thing? I just want something better than stock (single) and I've heard that Rancho and Skyjacker actually are worse.I threw out the Defiant and Thuren becuase that is all I know.
Is everybody still recommending going with the Thuren or is there something else out there?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is another one in the developement stages now,I will post up when it is ready for the retail market

Bob

·
Registered
391 Posts
Let's just say it has been Baja tested,and withstood everything thrown at it with flying colors.When it hits full scale production,I will anounce it.

Bob

·
Registered
357 Posts
it bob4x4 is talking about it, my guess is carli suspension.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd personally go dual 1.25s[1.5s if the wife wasn't looking] over a single 2.0. Gas them right so they don't spend their time fighting like redheaded siblings. Fairly close to the same price[steep] with the 2.0 being slightly cheaper.
The thing I have the hardest time with is the steep price tag on the clamp/s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Big Dog 809 said:
Hey Bob,

If its the one I am thinking about, it worked awesome!

Richard
It survived your test.........it is killer.Now to get it into the retail market. :cool:

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.