DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my Thuren Trac Bar installed today! It's about time! I can't say enough good things about this thing. Stout is an understatement. Here's a few pics, and the link to the write up!

Thuren Trac Bar Write Up

Notice that the front axle is FINALLY properly centered. And no, the bar does not come in red. I took my sweet time and spray painted it (3 days, 4 cans of paint).

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Damn that looks sweet. Can't wait to see the write up. Is it welded in place on the driver side? I thought it was a bolt on installation? I also like your quick disconnects on the sway bar. How do you like those, and were did you get them from?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver_DodgeRam said:
Damn that looks sweet.
Thanks!!! I LOVE IT!

Silver_DodgeRam said:
Can't wait to see the write up. Is it welded in place on the driver side? I thought it was a bolt on installation?
Yes, it is welded in place on the drivers side. Thuren also offers a bolt on bar, but it's designed for 0"-3" of lift. He also does custom jobs on a case by case basis. This bar is actually welded on two points. Where it connects to the frame, and a cross brace that connects to that, and another spot on the frame.

Silver_DodgeRam said:
I also like your quick disconnects on the sway bar. How do you like those, and were did you get them from?
Those actually came with my 5" X-Series kit from Rough Country. They do what they do quite well. Pull the pins, remove the center section, and your good to go. No complaints here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, your truck undersides are way too clean :) . Looks great!.........................170bcuda

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
170bcuda said:
Hey, your truck undersides are way too clean :) . Looks great!.........................170bcuda
Thanks! We call it the N.U.T.S.A.C - Nothing Under There but Shiney And Clean :D

It's a trick I learnd from my Jeep buddies. A couple of the guys I wheel with are a little anal when it comes to cleaning their rigs. What you do is hit it pretty good with the power washer, get it fairly clean. Then bust out the WD-40 in the Big Blast bottles. Go over EVERYTHING on the under carrige with it. It not only gives a nice clean look to your undercarrige, but it also makes future cleanings a breeze. The WD-40 acts like Teflon. Mud and other road grime and goo just falls right off. Once you get done hosing all the goo off, re-apply the WD-40 and your good to go for next time.

·
Too Big to Sneak
445 Posts
Pressure washer, smessure washer. I just put a big ol' lawn sprinkler under there for an hour or so. :D

I've got the old-style JKS sway-bar disconnects on the Jeep, and they're a PITA to get back together after a romp. Of course, they're only disconnected at one point, instead of two like yours. How much easier is that? (Try reconnecting them with only one side next time and see how much hassle it is...)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mister 4x4 said:
Pressure washer, smessure washer. I just put a big ol' lawn sprinkler under there for an hour or so. :D

I've got the old-style JKS sway-bar disconnects on the Jeep, and they're a PITA to get back together after a romp. Of course, they're only disconnected at one point, instead of two like yours. How much easier is that? (Try reconnecting them with only one side next time and see how much hassle it is...)
Will do. I would imagine it would be fairly easy. Just get some zip ties and strap them to the sway bar. Get done and pop 'em back on. I'll let ya know. :gr_patrio

·
Too Big to Sneak
445 Posts
Oh no - don't run the risk of losing the center pieces like that (if I read you right). Nah, just pull 'em then put 'em inside the cab til you're done - no chance of losing them then.

I'm just thinking it would be easier to reconnect the sway bar links with two joints, rather than a single joint - like the ones on my Jeep. You don't have to try any experiments or anything. ;)

Oh yeah - did I ever say how cool that sway bar looked? Good work there with the paint and install.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just installed Thuren's 0-3" bolt-in trackbar a few weeks ago. The bar is STOUT, about twice the diameter of the OEM trackbar, like "holy @#&" big. Installed easily, cleared everything perfectly, and was a snap to center the axle.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update....

For those of you who don't routinely inspect signature lines, I did Thuren's Crossover Steering conversion when I did the axle swap. VERY pleased with it as well!!!! I'll be working on a write up on that in the very near future. I also had to adjust the TRAC BAR for the new lift. Still VERY pleased with everything I've got from Thuren Fab!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone who has converted his steering over to 3/4" heim joints have many miles on their rigs yet? I'm ready to do mine but several people have stressed the importance of the tapered rod ends to make the joint between the stud and knuckle a solid one with no play/slop. Before I drill mine out s few thousandths undersize and then ream them to exactly .750", I just want to know if others are pleased with the longevity of theirs.

I did this same deal on my (mostly) trail CJ about 6 years ago and have been pleased. It's about half the weight and 1/20 the miles.

Thanks

ROB

·
i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
i cant wait for the write up on the crossover steering set up!, im really leaning towards doing this for my ram.

·
i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
im also curious if its possible to re-use the steering damper, if it accomodates it... or does this setup do away with it completely?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You are correct, that setup does not have provisions for the stock damper. Many people who have the setup claim their steering feels tighter than OE and are content without the damper.

·
i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
awesome, i wrote mr. thuren an email and asked a few Q's about his product.
his work gets good reviews around here, so when i get everything figured, i should get going on the set up.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That's because 01Offroad had to take the site down.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
still waiting for some long term write ups are those with them still happy with the product

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As mentioned above, I had to take down ALL my sites / write ups. My sincere appologies.

In regards to long term happiness.... I couldn't be happier. Not sure how long I've had the cross over steering and the trac bar, but I can tell you that they're just about the last thing on the truck I have to worry about. I can still turn the truck with my pinky finger. The steering feedback is great, just enough to let you know its there, not enough to make you work. I couldn't be happier.

If you have, or if you plan to run larger than life tires, this is absolutely a worthwhile investment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.