DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if Dons coils give a Hemi truck 4 " of lift, and a PW sits 2 inches higher then a standard 2500, I can assume that those coils would keep my front end pretty close to where it is now with my leveling kit? Am I way off on this or what?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds right to me.

Just be aware the Thuren coils are stiffer than the OEM PW coils but softer than stock Hemi 2500 springs. I bet you get coil bind way before it hits the bump stops while using that spacer though.

With the Thuren coils you won't get coil bind if or when you fully compress them. So all in all it should be an improvement

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yup you get about 4" of lift with Thuren's coils. I'm running them on my PW. I gained about an inch over the Carli 3" springs. Look into an adjustable tracbar and longer control arms as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Springs

Yup you get about 4" of lift with Thuren's coils. I'm running them on my PW. I gained about an inch over the Carli 3" springs. Look into an adjustable tracbar and longer control arms as well.
I was already planning the Carli or PP control arms and Carli track bar. My truck has a 2.5" level spacer and I don't like the spacer but I do like the stance o the truck. I think with Dons coils it should sit at roughly the same height as it is now. I may look into his shakle's just to get a slight rake back in the truck for towing. How is the ride with those coils?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just got my Thuren arms last week and they are excellent quality. They also allow for a better turning radius while having more than enough strength for anything we could put them through. His new stainless ball ends are awesome and very corrosion resistant. The joints are entirely rebuildable on the bench with hand tools.

Note: They are not the Johny joints shown in the picture on his site. The quality control was not very good so it forced him to start making his own joints. I must say they are smooth and tight! I'm impressed with the quality of the entire package.

Carli arms are great and are the strongest ones out there for our trucks. I just like the Thuren ones a little better for my needs (up to 37" tires and no rubbing on the arms with stock wheels is a plus too).

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
I just got my Thuren arms last week and they are excellent quality. They also allow for a better turning radius while having more than enough strength for anything we could put them through. His new stainless ball ends are awesome and very corrosion resistant. The joints are entirely rebuildable on the bench with hand tools.

Note: They are not the Johny joints shown in the picture on his site. The quality control was not very good so it forced him to start making his own joints. I must say they are smooth and tight! I'm impressed with the quality of the entire package.

Carli arms are great and are the strongest ones out there for our trucks. I just like the Thuren ones a little better for my needs (up to 37" tires and no rubbing on the arms with stock wheels is a plus too).
Just to clarify:
Johnnie Joints are made by Currie and Curries builds Carli's custom joints.

Thuren was using Ballistic joints but recently switched to a new design.

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts

·
Don't Follow Me....
1,646 Posts
I was actually looking at control arms last night. What do you think about the Black Ops Diesel control arms? I was looking at them on 8lug truck gear web site. I was also wondering if I should go with the 1" longer arms since I don't have a front bumper to worry about. That way, when I lift my truck, it'll already have the 1" arms in place..........:dunno: I like the Thuren ones, but also like the idea of the 1" longer ones.

http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Dodge-Suspension/Control-Arms/Black-Ops-I-Beam-Control-Arms-p548.html

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks, for correcting my confusing response, I had Carli's joints mixed up with Thurens old ones. The new ones Thuren is making are very smooth and tight. They also should not rust any for you NE owners. I was very impressed when I got mine. You can't go wrong with Carli either.

As for anyone else that makes them I don't know the first thing about them :ugh

·
..::MOOSE::..
1,580 Posts
I was actually looking at control arms last night. What do you think about the Black Ops Diesel control arms? I was looking at them on 8lug truck gear web site. I was also wondering if I should go with the 1" longer arms since I don't have a front bumper to worry about. That way, when I lift my truck, it'll already have the 1" arms in place..........:dunno: I like the Thuren ones, but also like the idea of the 1" longer ones.

http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Dodge-Suspension/Control-Arms/Black-Ops-I-Beam-Control-Arms-p548.html
Not if you value your track bar mount and front diff....:SPIN:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was looking at these does anyone has experience with them.

[Rokmen Dodge Ram 0-3" Adjustable Control Arm Package]
http://www.rokmen.com/suspension/co...dodge-ram-adjustable-control-arm-package.html
I looked at those. They seem to be a good value, but with that dual jam nut design I'd be worried about having to always check the jam nuts. My buddy had a set like that on his Jeep (which granted had a lot more suspension travel than a PW) and he was always having to tighten them. A total PIA.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I looked at those. They seem to be a good value, but with that dual jam nut design I'd be worried about having to always check the jam nuts. My buddy had a set like that on his Jeep (which granted had a lot more suspension travel than a PW) and he was always having to tighten them. A total PIA.
I was wandering about that.

I want a good set of stock length arms and am having a real hard time finding them w/o jam nuts. I don't care for the DT Profab arms I have. They are wider that stock and rub even with my 12:00 wide tires and the urethane bushing squeak and drive my nuts.

Any idea's?

·
05DodgePowerWagon2115
380 Posts
While we are at it. Thuren trackbar vs Carli trackbar. Interested in thoughts. They both look like great options. I am contemplating the Thuren control arms to so that may push me that direction anyways.

·
Don't Follow Me....
1,646 Posts
Not if you value your track bar mount and front diff....:SPIN:
So......with a LIFT, 1" longer is not a bad thing.

And.....without a LIFT, 1" longer is NOT good......?

SO.....better to stick with 1/2" longer? :IDEA:
I think I'm catching on......:D

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
I was wandering about that.

I want a good set of stock length arms and am having a real hard time finding them w/o jam nuts. I don't care for the DT Profab arms I have. They are wider that stock and rub even with my 12:00 wide tires and the urethane bushing squeak and drive my nuts.

Any idea's?
Stock length arms are technically too short for stock PW's. Quite a few fo my customers are running the Carli arms on their stock PWs. The offset design allows for more turning radius than stock arms.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Stock length arms are technically too short for stock PW's. Quite a few fo my customers are running the Carli arms on their stock PWs. The offset design allows for more turning radius than stock arms.
I have heard there are negative aspects of 1/2" longer arms. I want reliability first and performance second. What will I be compromising by going with the longer arms?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
As posted here by crawler#976 there is a slight rub of the tire on the inner liner at the transition point of the front bumper to the front wheel liner. Otherwise all other things remaining constant there are no other negatives, only positives. BDS has spacers used in the front bumper mounts that correct the liner rub so it would be easy to replicate that fix.

One caution I can verify is... Do not use an aftermarket front diff cover like as an example Mag Hytec. Only use the Carli front diff rock guard, or contact with the track bar mount bolt and frame bracket will result.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As posted here by crawler#976 there is a slight rub of the tire on the inner liner at the transition point of the front bumper to the front wheel liner. Otherwise all other things remaining constant there are no other negatives, only positives. BDS has spacers used in the front bumper mounts that correct the liner rub so it would be easy to replicate that fix.

One caution I can verify is... Do not use an aftermarket front diff cover like as an example Mag Hytec. Only use the Carli front diff rock guard, or contact with the track bar mount bolt and frame bracket will result.
I already have the Carli front diff cover. I have 33.5x12-17 tires (295/70-17) I thought only 35" tires rub or is that any 33"+ tire will rub?

Maybe I can weld the Rokmen arms and get ride of the adjustment bolts all together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts