DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumping noise when turning

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  soxbosred 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Durango with 119k on it, 5.2 V8 and 4WD. Over the weekend I replaced my ball joints and tie rods. I know that I need to replace the hub bearing on the passenger side and I will do that soon. However I've noticed on the way to work this morning that there is a thumping noise when I turn, not as I am turning the steering wheel but as the car is going around a curve. Sometimes it will make this noises when going over a big rise in the road, the kind where you reach the top and start going down and you can feel some "free fall" as you start going pack down the rise on the other side, kind of a roller coaster feel, it would sometime clunk/thump then.

To replace the balljoints I removed the axle nut and then the wheel hub which allowed me to remove the entire steering knuckle and that provide the easiest access to the lower ball joint. Before I did all this I did not have this problem. If I damaged the CV joint in the drive shaft would that cause this clunking noise? Could this be the bearings in the wheel hub? Like I said, all new Moog balljoints and tierods. I also had new tires put on it yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Thumping, squeaking when turning 2002 Dodge 1500

I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 truck and i kinda did the same thing you're saying. Although mine made noise at slower speeds, turning. It also makes sense it would be more prevalent going over a rise as this would take weight off the upper control arms allowing them to move.

It turned out the upper control arm bushing nuts were loose. Just cranked them down and the clunking noise under my left foot and squeaking noise went away.

See this post:

dang, it won't let post the url. Soo, search these forums for "upper control arm loose" by Dodge talk user " 05_ram_1500 "

Hope this works as its the cheapest fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.