DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, mabe someone has the same problem....
after driving and coming to a stop at a light, on acceleration there is a single "thump" felt through the vehicle. it's not a back and forth thump, like something is moving back and forth, just a "thump" feeling.
we tried shocks, u-joints, front driveshaft slip joint. cleaned out the splines of the rear drive shaft yoke and lubricated there. replaced the front upper ball joints, and tightened everything we could find. even if it did'nt look loose.
i used to work for nissan and we had a problem with the pathfinders. same feeling. it turned out to be the rear driveshaft splines binding on the transfer case output shaft. cleaning and lubrication helped there, but not on my D.
any ideas??

·
Registered
199 Posts
woobie,
Next time you feel that "thump", check your gas gauge. Durangos are notorious for having that thump while the level of gas in the tank is between full and ¾ full. So if that's where your gas gauge shows your level to be, the thump is nothing to worry about. Somebody at one time had an explanation for it but I don't recall what it was, maybe the sensor floating in the tank? I've had the issue since the day I got my truck back in Oct. 2000. Lots if not all of us have it.
HTH
T

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thump happens all the time....someone else had mentioned the gas thing, but i've noticed it all the time

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the way...what does the rear deflector look like on your truck, and what info do you have on the rear diff cover you have??

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
is it felt in the front or the rear of the truck? must be in the rear since you are looking at u joints and diffs. did you look at your rear diff. for pinion and gear tolerances that are within spec?

·
Registered
229 Posts
You need to tells if it's in the front or the back you vehicle, can you feel it in the gas/ break pedal? Since you have not filled out your signature in the control panel we don't know what you have. I have had a some-what the same problem and it was the rear leaf springs, they needed to be retightened. Now if it's in the front end you need to take it to a shop and check the suspension and you will find the problem there.
Fred T.

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel it through the seat, so, I will say it's in the back of the truck.
Since I felt it before I had the rear housing replaced, and I still feel it, I'm not really looking at the springs...but that brings an interesting thought to mind.....
On the right leaf spring, one of the "loops" that bind the spring together has the rubber coming out of it. There is a lot of "rust dust" on both rear leaf springs where all the leaves touch at the ends.
Possible problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.