DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefit to letting off the accelerator during shifts?
Does it reduce wear and increase service life at all?

thanks

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Yes I would think so. When the trans shifts the clutches slip to avoid a hard shift. When you are at WOT the trans will slip a little more than it would at 1/4 throttle. I have to do that because my trans is getting ready to go (1 1/2 years now). Trying to milk some more life out of it. I drive hard but let off before it shifts. It's like driving a stick but with no clutch.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm in the same boat as 98Quad, but I have to disagree to some extent. I have been 'milking' this trans until I can come up with the near $1800 to rebuild it.
If i'm taking off gently and gingerly from a light with little or no traffic up the rear I tend to take it easy on the tranny. When doing this I have more instances of the trans letting go in the morning when cold (engine revs, no pull - then sudden engagement) as well as the engine revving high and holding high revs before shifting.
If I just try to forget about the problems the tranny shifts fine (I'm guessing because of the higher revs / higher fluid pressure) and it does better than when I try to control it by letting off to 'help' it shift and feathering the gas to 'make' it shift.

Remember - it takes pressure (engine RPM's) for the transmission to shift. One of the most common Dodge tranny fixes on the 'net relies on raising the line pressure to the transmission. Don't ask me how - I have no clue.
Just my opinion.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I adjusted my pressure along with a shift kit. The only difference that made is it shifts hard enough to flip the rear seat over if not locked in. Thats unless I let off the gas before it shifts. But mine never slips. It just don't shift right or at the right time. I think I can milk it for a few more years before I break down and attempt to do a rebuild.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember - it takes pressure (engine RPM's) for the transmission to shift. One of the most common Dodge tranny fixes on the 'net relies on raising the line pressure to the transmission. Don't ask me how - I have no clue.
Just my opinion.
you are correct about pressure, but it's controlled more by throttle setting rather than what rpms the motor is turning.
I adjusted my line pressure higher via the TV cable...simple adustment, but very small amount of movement. Too much either way will be bad. I have mine set higher than stock, makes it shift a little harder but makes it last a little longer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
how did you adjust the tv cable?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
hum

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
desert ram said:
how did you adjust the tv cable?
it's located just behind (toward the firewall) the throttle cable assembly left of the throttle body.
Here's the link to the instructions...don't go crazy adjusting on it, it only takes about 1/4-1/16 of an inch to get the desired effect.
Too much in either direction will cause undesired results.

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TVCable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.