DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello Dodgetalk,

About 10 years ago (cant believe I still have an account) I was posting about my 1986 Custom Deluxe D150 for various things. I ended up on some financial hard times and had to sell it . Well... I bought the old bitch back. Shes a bit crusty and has been sitting, but I think it still has some life left....maybe...

My new issue, the peddle is to the floor and the cable is sticking out of the firewall. I assume the cable it broke or something is stuck.

Which of these might be the throttle cable ?

1. That sleeve moves freely like its broke
2. That one seems connected, but none of these are like taunt or anything like I expected them to be if the cable was all rusted on the inside of the sleeve
3. This wont move for anything and I'm afraid of forcing it,, it looks like its fully pulled back....

If anyone could assist at ID'ing things and nudge me in the right direction, It would be much appreciated...

Here is truck pic as a down payment 8 )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I asked a little early.... I wanted to get some ideas as I could not fathom what would cause this...... Asked my resident Dodge guy....He suggested that it was gummed up with bad gas... and he was !00% correct. Sprayed lucas penetrating oil over and over and worked it... and its close to moving like it should... Next step is throwing the new battery in it and firing it. I see my self pumping all the old gas out of it and putting it in the mowers ....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, so I asked a little early.... I wanted to get some ideas as I could not fathom what would cause this...... Asked my resident Dodge guy....He suggested that it was gummed up with bad gas... and he was !00% correct. Sprayed lucas penetrating oil over and over and worked it... and its close to moving like it should... Next step is throwing the new battery in it and firing it. I see my self pumping all the old gas out of it and putting it in the mowers ....
So you're going to pump the old gas out and let it mess up your mowers? Personally I don't use anything but non-ethanol gas in my lawn equipment but I should say in anything that isn't my daily driver and if it's not daily driven I put non-ethanol gas in it...
Personally I would pump the tank dry and take the fuel to a toxic waste facility which generally cost about five bucks.. take the tank out clean it run carb cleaner through the lines and take the carb off and take it apart and clean it up and or put a rebuild kit in it...
That probably after just getting it running out of a 1 gallon gas can..
Making sure it will run at all before I go through all that...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're going to pump the old gas out and let it mess up your mowers? Personally I don't use anything but non-ethanol gas in my lawn equipment but I should say in anything that isn't my daily driver and if it's not daily driven I put non-ethanol gas in it...
Personally I would pump the tank dry and take the fuel to a toxic waste facility which generally cost about five bucks.. take the tank out clean it run carb cleaner through the lines and take the carb off and take it apart and clean it up and or put a rebuild kit in it...
That probably after just getting it running out of a 1 gallon gas can..
Making sure it will run at all before I go through all that...
The mowers aren't anything fancy, but I hear ya. So is the ethanol what causes the yellow crusty stuff to form in carbs in general ? I've even ran equipment completely empty before storing for the winter and STLL had carb issues later...

After how stuck this thing was, I don't see this running without a carb rebuild.

Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
92 Posts
The mowers aren't anything fancy, but I hear ya. So is the ethanol what causes the yellow crusty stuff to form in carbs in general ? I've even ran equipment completely empty before storing for the winter and STLL had carb issues later...

After how stuck this thing was, I don't see this running without a carb rebuild.

Thanks for the reply !
The ethanol doesn't do any harm it's the fact that it attracts moisture and then the moisture mixed with any metal creates a problem corrosion rust so forth... So if it sets for a while it starts attracting that moisture into your lines into your carburetor into your tank and that's what creates the problem. Just like even worse drag cars that use alcohol they have to empty their carburetors in their fuel system after each use because that really attracts water like nobody's business. It's like putting the desitin containers inside your motorhome and it attracts all the moisture in the same way that ethanol fuel does into your fuel system carburetors and so forth. So like I was saying if you use it all the time no big deal but if you let it set like lawn mowers do in the winter or hot rods do in the winter it's nice to use non-ethanol fuel...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting update,,,, I was able to get it started after a battery charge or 2 ... Not only does it run,, but it idles .... have a few exhaust leaks .... not sure if the temp gauge inside is right,, drivers fender was warmer than I like ..have a miss in 1 or 2 ,,, If the gas guage is right,,, its less than 1/8 of the old stuff....Blew a brake component somewhere .. Oil pressure could be better,,, Doesn't smoke at all though .......one hell of a start,, we will go from here.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
killer backstory man, it’s not very often we get a chance to get our old memory makers back ! If it does not have a real mechanical oil pressure gauge , that sender gauge combo might be off .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts