DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 threw a check engine code indicating a problem with the sensor on the side of the throttle body. He replaced the sensor, but the bad performance, stalling and sputtering continue. Plus it continues to throw the same code. Sorry, I don't have the actual code with me. Any ideas what he should check next?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think there is a idle control valve on the the throttle body. had a buddy with a idle sensor problem and he had to replace both. not sure if its the same engine but it maybe worth checking

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
Idle air control (back of throttle body) is probably dirty and needs a good cleaning. Make sure you clean the hole it goes into as well. I used a throttle body cleaner for mine with good results. Other people will most likely chime in with other products which perform well. If you search you will also find a procedure somewhere on here (I'm too lazy to find it right now) with step by step instructions. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1 on IAC for most idle problems. IAC is on rear on TB and costs about $50 to replace. TPS is on the drives side of TB and simply tells the computer how much you are pressing the gas pedal. It costs about $40. not a bad idea to remove TB, clean the IAC well and where the plates meet the bore, (check plenum while its off) then just replace both and be done with it.

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
Although replacing does sound the most fool-proof, I cleaned my IAC with great results (I know others have as well). Only the plunger itself gets dirty, so 10 seconds of cleaning and it's as good as new. The TPS on the other hand, is a replace only item.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.