DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some feedback from those who have replaced their throttle bodies. How long ago did you replace your tb and are you still satisfied with the results? Has anyone dynoed their truck pre and post tb install? What are the performance differences between the fastman and other tb borers such as 99dart on ebay? How has your gas mileage been affected by the tb? Will the check engine light come on if I do replace the tb?

I am a person who asks a lot of questions and does a lot of homework before spending big bucks on upgrades. Any info would be greatly appreciated...

·
Silverado SS
1,154 Posts
first what motor do you have?
i put a fastman tb on my 4.7l and saw a tenth gain in quarter. His tb's are ported from a 65 or 68mm up to a 70mm. I had him make me a 69mm. It is a direct bolt on with no alterations needed. It also has a thinned throttle blade. I believe "Shadow quad cab" also ports TB's, he is a member here. No check engine light. When buying one make sure it is a through port job, not just some one opening up the area before the butterfly, like gasket matching a head or intake.
Brad

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought a fastman a month ago, 52 mm. I did notice throttle response was better but nothing other then that. This was the easiest mod I have ever installed on my rig. More recently I installed a FIPK from K&N which also increase throttle response and more increase in power. If you have any doubt about doing a bored out TB, I would not do it. In my opinion it was not all it was cracked up to be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The devil is in the details. I did the research for a TB as well, and decided on The FASTMAN. I just put it on two weeks ago, I've made trip to the beach, ( no hills ), and this weekend, a trip to WV, ( lots of hills ). I did get a check engine lite, and through this site, was able to resolve it by disconnecting and reconnecting the the battery. Mileage, I saw no real increase, power on the hills was better, but only marginally. Bang for the buck, still indecided, as it's only been two weeks.

Engine 5.2L 5speed 4x4 SB

Beatle

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I have a 5.2. Installed the 50mm Fastman. I really like it. I noticed a nice difference. Here's some posts about it.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46560
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50306

I did not have a pre or post dyno, and I never tried any other TB (other then the stock one) to compare. I personally believe that you will get more out of a bored TB if you have an air intake system to go with it. I have had an Airaid and K&N FIPK, and like them both, but like the K&N better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
How about the 5.9 guys??? I can get it a bit cheaper thru Hughes Engines Who all they deal with is Dodge, and I even got a good price for my CAI. I just need to watch my money at this part of time, just need to know if the throttle boddie is really worth it.

·
I need a truck!!!
2,115 Posts
I got my fastman tb last fall and i loved it. Noticed immediate throttle response and a little better pick up. Was worth it IMO

·
Registered
115 Posts
I depends on your intention's here. Your statement kinda conflicts.

Q~ Are you looking for performance or are you looking to watch your pennies?

If you're watching your pennies. Don't do it as this is a performance mod which may result in lower gas mileage as well as mod cost. I know for me.. the better my truck performs the more I like to drive my truck. IE..

Vice President and long time member of the throttle mashers club.. hehe

Also.. you don't have any mods listed in your signature so it's dificult to give advice without all the facts on the table.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Installed a FastMan 50mm TB on my 2000 ram QC 4x4 and love it. Decided to go with the 50 as opposed to the 52 to maintain as much low end torque as possible. The quality of work was exceptional from a visual standpoint. (To bad you can't see them). But performance was my main goal. I dropped 3 tenths off of my quarter mile times. Even more important was that I saw improvements everywhere, 60 foot times, 330, 660, etc. Was also the most effective mod I have performed. 4 Mods so far, Hypertech power programmer, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster catback are the others. Did not check for mileage difference, was after HP. Did notice a mileage improvement after the FIPK and catback system however, went from about 10.5mpg to almost 13mpg if I kept my foot out of it. Dan (The FastMan) is also very helpful and courteous and has no problem staying on the phone to discuss various mods. Something that can be very uncommon with other performance shops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
<<DarkRed]Was also the most effective mod I have performed. 4 Mods so far, Hypertech power programmer, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster catback are the others. Did not check for mileage difference, was after HP. Did notice a mileage improvement after the FIPK and catback system however, went from about 10.5mpg to almost 13mpg if I kept my foot out of it.>>

Sportquad,

Did you add each item one at a time? Did you mean to say your throddle body change out seem to provide you with the most noticeable power improvement, even over your more expensive CIA & exhaust changes?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
dont know if its still available..but do a search for throtle body shoot out. A couple years ago Ron got all the major brands together and dynoed them on a 5.9 with a CAI and headers.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
my throttle body is a stocker that was ported and machined at a local machine shop, they ground out the top to be smooth so no restrictions, ported the bores to 52mm each, beveled the bores on both sides for les air restriction and installed new thinner butterflies, and polished it all off

it def. made a difference off the line and stomping it while cruising, i def. didnt lose any torque going with the 52mm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tailgate

Yes, I installed each item individually so that I could compare and chart the improvements. The 50 MM TB gave me the single biggest improvement compared with each of the other mods. All the mods except for the cat-back system lowered et's at every point in the quarter mile. The cat-back system lost just a touch of low end. Both my butt dyno and the 60 foot track timers confirmed this. I should also mention that the TB was the least expensive mod, yet gave the best improvement. I should add that I don't think that it would have been as effective had I not already had the FIPK installed. I don't know that for sure I'm just speculating. The cat-back system even though it lost a touch of low end did gain speed after 60 foot to post a net gain (lower et). In my earlier post I did not mention that my truck has the 5.9l (360), this could be significant to somebody planning similar mods. Since I use my truck to pull a fairly heavy boat I'm trying to maintain as much low end as I can while gaining acceleration. While that would seem to make sense, it is not as easy as it sounds since most mods tend to sacrifice low end to get power higher up in the rpm range. I chose my mods with this goal in mind.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
good point, be sure to have a good CAI kit before u put the throttle body on, and sportquad im not surprised that you lost low end torque with a cat back system most people do, how big are your pipes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure of the pipe size the system is the Flowmaster American Thunder system with stainless tips exiting out the back. The pipes coming from the muffler are 2.5 (I think). I'm guessing that the pipe from the cat to the muffler is 3'' but again I'm not sure. I put the system on 2 years ago and that info is no longer fresh. Even if I didn't see an improvement the sound is almost worth the price of the system. Sound level is just about perfect not too loud and not too quiet. And sound quality is awesome, nice and mellow with a little bit of a growl. A friend of mine with a Chevy 2500HD loves the sound of my truck. Wants to know how I did it. And yes even though it lost a touch of lowend, it gained power every where else.

sportquad

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
lol ur friend has to get a dodge motor if he wants that sounds, they are the best sounding trucks on the road, but those diameters are about right for ur engine output, shorty headers might pick you up some of that lost low end torque and give u a lil deeper sound

·
Registered
35 Posts
hot2k1ram

You must be reading my mind because I was considering headers as my next mod. Will probably go with the jba's, although I am considering the edelbrocks and pph's. And also a magnaflow cat. My other option is 1.7 rr's. At this point I think the headers will be cheaper and easier to install. As far as the gains and sound I hope your right but since the cat-back system was my second mod, I have already got back far more low end torque with the FIPK and the 50 mm TB than I had lost. Incidentally, I have been reading threads on this site for many months and just recently decided to start responding. One criticism is that many people discuss their mods but don't have any hard numbers (quarter mile, dyno, etc) to substantiate their opinions. I have documented all of my performance mods with quarter mile testing. If anybody is intereted in my numbers I might be willing to share them. E-mail me and talk me into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Performance modifications

Thanks for the clearification Sportquad,

I too am setting up to pull (a horsetrailer), so I also want to maintain torque.

I currently have the Fastman 50mm, and the Volant CAI on order. I just replaced Cap, Rotor, plugs and wires (wires are Borg Warner 7mm premier, or something like that, cost around $37) I thought about the MSN 8mm, but they didnt have any better quality sets on hand, in my town.

Man is that a hard thing to do on the 5.2, gettin to that distributor. I had to work blindly :cool: , and almost fell asleep, laying across the stinkin engine :eek: , then having to deal with incorrect wire orders was very time consuming. That said, I'm glad I took the time to do it myself, at least I know what was done.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
yea i get em crossed the first time too b/c of just jumping right into it, it's ok, do u have the ram air tube on your volant intake?

·
Registered
140 Posts
sportquad said:
Installed a FastMan 50mm TB on my 2000 ram QC 4x4 and love it. I dropped 3 tenths off of my quarter mile times. Even more important was that I saw improvements everywhere, 60 foot times, 330, 660, etc. Was also the most effective mod I have performed.
Very informative! Thank you for providing something other than "butt dyno" information. In my experience 98% of butt dyno's are miscalibrated.

DodgeFreak said:
dont know if its still available..but do a search for throtle body shoot out. A couple years ago Ron got all the major brands together and dynoed them on a 5.9 with a CAI and headers.
I will have to do a search for that. Sounds like a good read.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.