Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick one here....

Going to be replacing the front leaf springs on my 79' PW....

There are more leafs on the new ones which makes the whole thing thicker than 'stock'... I already have longer U-bolts...

On the passenger side, where the axle is bolted to the springs, it's got one U-bolt and 1/2" studs that are in the axle housing... I'm going to need slightly longer studs....

I'm going to get a variety of lengths beforehand, so I don't have to stop and run to the parts/hardware store....

Is the thread pitch in the axle housing coarse or fine thread?

Thanks in advance!

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Not sure where you mean, maybe you could snap a pic and post it. But my suggestion would be to take the original bolt that came out of it if you have it and take it with you to match up the thread. More than likely though, it's coarse.

·
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here ya go Speed....
The new springs that are going on have 6 leafs to them, so I'm gonna need at least another inch...

You are probably right, being as the threads on the exposed end of the studs are fine thread and most studs (most) studs are corse on one end and fine on the other....

I just want to have everything in hand and ready to go so I dont have to stop mid-way and run to the parts/hardware store (25 miles each direction ... 6 feet of snow... Up hill both ways.. ;) )
I guess I could get a variety of different lenghts, but that grade 8 stuff gets pretty expensive... Expensive enough to return the ones I didn't need and then there another needless trip into town.. ;)

I just figured that somebody has done this before and would remember which one it was... :D

Attachments

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I would suspect there coarse thread. Most threads in castings of iron or steel are coarse for holding ability.
Why not remove one as you will need to do this anyway?
--B-300--

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Damn, you got 6 feet of snow already? We just got our first frost down here :)

·
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speed Dragon said:
Damn, you got 6 feet of snow already? We just got our first frost down here :)
Naaaaw.... I was just goofing with ya ... :)

Not to make it any worse than what my ol' man used to make it sound like..
I figured you get it when I said 'uphill both ways'... :D

Speed Dragon said:
Why not remove one as you will need to do this anyway?
Yeah, I could, but I just didnt want to have to take anything apart while I still might need to use the rig to go get a part.... Know what I mean?
In order to take that stud out to see what it is, you basically gotta take that whole side loose....

I'm just hoping I can get both studs out without breaking them... They have been in there for close to 30 years...

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
bherder said:
Naaaaw.... I was just goofing with ya ... :)

Not to make it any worse than what my ol' man used to make it sound like..
I figured you get it when I said 'uphill both ways'... :D
Oh lol I missed the both ways part:thatfunny

·
5,828 Posts
You have say you have new U-bolts, did they come with the springs? If so the spring supplier should have sent studs also.
If you remove the spring plate, there may be enough room to use 2 "jam nuts" to double nut and remove the existing studs.
P.S. this would require a trip to the hardware store, uphill both ways. (Don't forget penetrating oil.- I use PB Blaster)
--B-300--

·
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I took that side apart today...

(No they didn't send new studs with the springs... Musta' been some sort of 'generic' setup..)

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know, the studs I pulled were 9/16" x 3" studs. (9/16" , I dont know why, being as the U-bolts are 1/2") Corse thread going into the axle housing, fine thread on the 'nut' end of it.

I was guessing that they'd be 1/2", like the U-bolts, so I still had to make a trip into town (17 feet of snow, uphill both ways :D )
But I also wanted to make sure I was getting Grade 8 studs....

Taking the studs out was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be... I bought a set of 'cheap-o' stud removers from Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago, and the studs zipped right on out.

So, the 'hard' side is done, the other side should be a piece of cake....

·
5,828 Posts
:cool: I'M glad to here them studs came out without breaking. The different sized ends are probably why the spring manufactor has you walking uphill both ways.
--B-300--

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.